Fitting a tipper back to crewcab Hilux-anyone done this?

Treetom15

As the title suggests, I’ve recently bought a crewcab truck-mk3 Toyota Hilux. The chassis and cab is sound, but the tub on the back is a bit rough. I’m torn between stripping and welding the tub, or out my efforts into making a tipper back. The idea was always to do a tipper eventually but I’ve only seen people convert the single cabs? Looking for info on placement for the ram and tipping gear, I’m obviously aware that a crewcab won’t hold as much, but I think it would be a good addition! 

• Like 1

The easiest and cheapest tipper conversion for any pickup is to adapt the Ali planked Transit type tipper bodies. They are riveted together and can be dis assembled, shortened, width reduced with a wood saw and riveted/bolted back together. The only " fabrication" needed is to shorten the subframes and reduce the width of the bolster, you dont need to get involved with the tipper geometry because its the front bit you are cutting off so the hinge to ram ratio remains untouched , the ram etc stays where it is.

Bob

There was enough ali planking left over on this one to add some extra height to the sides.

IMG_3024.thumb.JPG.71d738fcafc08f5e88f06cc3472680b1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

The easiest and cheapest tipper conversion for any pickup is to adapt the Ali planked Transit type tipper bodies. They are riveted together and can be dis assembled, shortened, width reduced with a wood saw and riveted/bolted back together. The only " fabrication" needed is to shorten the subframes and reduce the width of the bolster, you dont need to get involved with the tipper geometry because its the front bit you are cutting off so the hinge to ram ratio remains untouched , the ram etc stays where it is.

Bob

There was enough ali planking left over on this one to add some extra height to the sides.

IMG_3024.thumb.JPG.71d738fcafc08f5e88f06cc3472680b1.JPG

That was exactly my thinking. I found a transit tipper back complete with ram, electronics and everything I needed for £250, I don’t think it had the alloy boards but I can add those. It’s mostly how/where to mount the ram in the back of the truck, I’ve seen how to fit to a single cab but my issue is how much room the double cab takes up 

13 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

That was exactly my thinking. I found a transit tipper back complete with ram, electronics and everything I needed for £250, I don’t think it had the alloy boards but I can add those. It’s mostly how/where to mount the ram in the back of the truck, I’ve seen how to fit to a single cab but my issue is how much room the double cab takes up 

The scissor type ram/tipping gear will all be mounted between the upper and lower sub chassis`s, nothing hangs below this so everything you put on the back whether single or double cab will sit on the chassis you have. If you look at the two chassis`s below you will notice they are basically the same, there are two forward bodymounts that will need 50x50 box section on top of them to bring them up to the same level as the other fixing points. What you will be doing is mounting the cut down tipper body and sub chassis`s as close to the hump in the chassis where it goes over the axle as you can. All the tipper gubbins will be sat over the mid cross member/tank/ spare wheel, nothing hangs down. Just slide your cut down tipper onto the chassis and bolt down to all the lugs available.

Bob

IMG_2837.thumb.JPG.3f34c6015d091f86ce3960aae5f24cbc.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

As the title suggests, I’ve recently bought a crewcab truck-mk3 Toyota Hilux. The chassis and cab is sound, but the tub on the back is a bit rough. I’m torn between stripping and welding the tub, or out my efforts into making a tipper back. The idea was always to do a tipper eventually but I’ve only seen people convert the single cabs? Looking for info on placement for the ram and tipping gear, I’m obviously aware that a crewcab won’t hold as much, but I think it would be a good addition! 

My effort was on a Series II Lwb,  Link Tip unit off a cabstar, shortened it, narrowed it and it dropped straight on. You dont get much in but it definately makes a better body for a pickup. Series II = 2.2 ton a ton of chip or log in back is just up to yr 3.5ton limit. Tyres springs etc. Yr pump will fit between the chassis some where. Aint as hard as you think. K

10 hours ago, aspenarb said:

The scissor type ram/tipping gear will all be mounted between the upper and lower sub chassis`s, nothing hangs below this so everything you put on the back whether single or double cab will sit on the chassis you have. If you look at the two chassis`s below you will notice they are basically the same, there are two forward bodymounts that will need 50x50 box section on top of them to bring them up to the same level as the other fixing points. What you will be doing is mounting the cut down tipper body and sub chassis`s as close to the hump in the chassis where it goes over the axle as you can. All the tipper gubbins will be sat over the mid cross member/tank/ spare wheel, nothing hangs down. Just slide your cut down tipper onto the chassis and bolt down to all the lugs available.

Bob

IMG_2837.thumb.JPG.3f34c6015d091f86ce3960aae5f24cbc.JPG

Thanks very much mate, pictures are a big help! Luckily my truck is stripped down at the moment as I’m doing a good bit of work to it, so I’ve plenty of time to fiddle and play around!