Help!!!

Groll4

Hello 

I really need some help, I have an established tree in my garden that for the last few years has been getting less and less leaves on it. This year it appears to be even worse. 

not sure if it’s an apple or cherry (never seen any fruit on it) 

one side of the tree now looks completely dead, however I have checked under the bark and it still appears alive. 

something else to add is that it most likely has some root damage due to a heavy handed landscaper using a mini digger to remove some old turf. 

Can anything be done to save it???

9621B6F2-137F-4F23-AFCA-CDC8D6F87A57.jpeg

7CA1B451-9E1B-4EAA-AD37-6E1A3BB69E5D.jpeg

BAEBBA46-B6BC-40EA-9AF7-59D601D21B4B.jpeg

B7A6AC77-28A2-491E-A571-A7067BF317A0.jpeg

71E93058-F172-4488-A0BE-D6CA2FD77833.jpeg

8A4FFF4A-3817-4478-A667-38C500CA691A.jpeg

Edited by Groll4

Hmmm. Dont prune it now because of  'silverleaf'.  Good hack in late Spring, see what happens. If it pushes out lots of new growth after, yr in with a chance. This is not a Technical answer. But i have saved a lot of  veteran apple trees this way. Otherwise fell and replant. K

• Like 1

It looks like copper plum,  100mm of wood chip/mulch under the canopy footprint will alleviate compaction from digger and is generally a great thing to do for any tree as adds nutrients,  improves soil aeration and moisture retention. You could also add maxi crop fertiliser which is an organic fertiliser made from seaweed extract. Should be able to get it online 

• Like 1

Good idea to do a mulch circle or square out to the drip line of the tree which is where most of the tree roots will be, remove the turf and put in a good mix of well rotted wood chip and compost mix and yes biochar is pretty much the best thing you can give the tree and helps with the root/fungi system within the rootzone. The tree roots will mostly be near the surface and they need to be able to breath and take in enough nutrients from what you feed it. In this state it will need lots of help. 

Water thoroughly.

What sort of soil is underneath? 

• Like 1