Small business grant of 10K

briscoe

17 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Its a 10K Grant ie non repayable

The container opposite me which is less than 20ft away was rated at the time of inspection in March 2017. He stores tools for doing light construction work and also mechanics. His container has set a precedent. If I missed the inspection but have had my container there since September 2017 I think I would be eligible to pay rates and be able to access the grant. 

Free money from the Government has to worth looking into. 

If you can persuade them to charge you business rates remember you may pay for it in the long run as perhaps the small business rates relief will be reduced or abolished in the future to repay the grants.  Be careful what you wish for!

• Like 4

But if SBRR went from 100% to 75% they would neatly collect cash from exactly the businesses that got the grant.

I am reminded periodically of Mrs Thatcher, and her saying it's not government money it's taxpayers money. It all comes from us one way or the other so if the government are giving an advance it'll need paying back.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, briscoe said:

Its a 10K Grant ie non repayable

The container opposite me which is less than 20ft away was rated at the time of inspection in March 2017. He stores tools for doing light construction work and also mechanics. His container has set a precedent. If I missed the inspection but have had my container there since September 2017 I think I would be eligible to pay rates and be able to access the grant. 

Free money from the Government has to worth looking into. 

Free money from the Government!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, briscoe said:

The Grant would never be repayable . Its a gift . Even it rate relief is reduced or abolished. 

No the grant is not repayable but if he succeeded in getting it he might eventually end up paying business rates, which could eventually end up costing more than the grant in the first place! 

Whereas currently he is paying no business rates.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

No the grant is not repayable but if he succeeded in getting it he might eventually end up paying business rates, which could eventually end up costing more than the grant in the first place! 

Whereas currently he is paying no business rates.

Get those slabs cut yet Gav 

When you try to apply for the grant they want your business rate number and if like me you don’t even qualify to pay them ,so I needed to get rate assessed but they would not do that so even though we have a small business,with a retail shop we don’t qualify for F##k all it’s typical big business gets their cash but the small guy gets F###ed over as usual ,we need a revolution 

• Like 1

More about being in the right place at right time. I missed the voa inspection by a couple of months. The guy whos container is 20ft away and had his unit rated only turns over about 10k a year and been running a business for a couple of years. so certainly not only about being a big established business. If you missed the voa inspection but rent a unit you will not be able to get the grant. Rates are currently 200 quid a year but full relief anyway. 

2 hours ago, briscoe said:

More about being in the right place at right time. I missed the voa inspection by a couple of months. The guy whos container is 20ft away and had his unit rated only turns over about 10k a year and been running a business for a couple of years. so certainly not only about being a big established business. If you missed the voa inspection but rent a unit you will not be able to get the grant. Rates are currently 200 quid a year but full relief anyway. 

I do agree that it is all very arbitrary sadly. 

I heard a pub owner talking on the radio a day or two ago (Radio 5) who is going to miss out on these grants because his rateable value is £1 over the threshold.  If your rateable value (for leisure hospitality and retail) in England is between £15000 and £50,999 you get a grant of £25,000.  His rateable value was £51,000 so he gets nothing.  He said he had a thriving pub business and now he has no idea if he can keep his head above water until he is allowed to re-open.  And let's be honest pubs will not be able to open fully for a while.  Maybe not even properly until next summer.  

We have it easy compared to them, at least tree work can largely carry on with social distancing in place.

• Like 2