Small business grant of 10K

briscoe

Im a bit miffed by the 10K grant for small business who pay business rates. 

I am a sole trader surgery/garden business. I bought a shipping container to store my equipment which I keep on a local farm. I pay the farmer a monthly amount to keep the container there and use the land for logs chip and occasional fire. I bought this container in September 2017. I share this yard with another business who had the same size container and pays the same rent . However in March 2017 VOA carried out rates inspection and he had his container rated for business rates for which he gets rate relief and so effectively pays nothing. However because his container is rated he is eligible to apply for this 10K grant (non repayable). I am going to try and see if the VOA will rate the container and backdate the rating to allow eligibility for this grant which would be massive help given current situation. 

The eligibility criteria here from gov website:

Who is eligible for these schemes? Small Business Grant Fund Eligibility

11. Businesses with a property that on the 11 March 2020 were eligible for Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR) Scheme (including those with a Rateable Value between £12,000 and £15,000 which receive tapered relief).

12. Businesses which on 11 March 2020 were eligible for relief under the Rural Rate Relief Scheme are also eligible for this scheme.  

13. Eligible recipients will receive one grant per property.  

I would be eligible if they VOA had rated the container. 

Anyone else rent a container/unit on a farm which they use for business but don't pay business rates?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

I do. But its such a palaver with rates wouldnt bother. Sad to hear yr struggling.  K

It is indeed a palava with anything to do with the VOA.  I applied to have my business rates reduced and split up differently in December 2018.  About a year later they told me I had to fill in some extra forms.  A couple of months later they asked for a couple more bits.  I have still not had a decision.

• Sad 1

Hi yep we are in the same position,why would I apply for business rate relief if I don’t have to pay business rates it’s bonkers I should be at a show this weekend but I am not ,still got to pay the rent on my yard , I spoke to the council and they were no help we have been a bit lucky and got a small commission that we can do as me an my girlfriend are in the workshop on our own are just as isolated as at home on our own,and my big old dog lost his battle with cancer yesterday my house is too empty so being at work suits me fine ,but 10grand would suite me a bloody site more

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi yep we are in the same position,why would I apply for business rate relief if I don’t have to pay business rates it’s bonkers I should be at a show this weekend but I am not ,still got to pay the rent on my yard , I spoke to the council and they were no help we have been a bit lucky and got a small commission that we can do as me an my girlfriend are in the workshop on our own are just as isolated as at home on our own,and my big old dog lost his battle with cancer yesterday my house is too empty so being at work suits me fine ,but 10grand would suite me a bloody site more

Sorry to hear about your old dog Mark.

Hi Thanks mate he was battling cancer for a while had an inoperable lump in his back leg that spread one in his chest but being a bull mastiff cross America Bulldog he soldiered on but out for a short walk his leg went and he couldn’t stand up we managed to get the vet to do a home visit as they are not ment to at the moment,but it was his time ,sad as F##k he was born in our house ,but he’s buried next to his mum in the woods I look after ,the house is just too quiet it’s the first time in over 20yrs we don’t have a dog in the house and I just don’t like it we will defo get another,Sorry to derail this thread

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about the restrictions and conditions there is this point:

"Changes made to the business’s rateable value or rating assessment after 11 March 2020 will be not be used to determine eligibility."

So hypothetically, a sole trader occupying a container on a farm (and using concrete pads etc), whilst paying a (maybe informal) rent to the farmer but not having anything to do with business rates etc, there is no option to get the container and usage rated leading to paying business rates (or not via rural relief) and therefore become eligible for the 10k loan?

Also; reading up on what business rates are actually for, so long as the tree man were just storing tools, chips and logs he wouldn't be eligible for it anyway? The grey area being processing firewood which could always be done away from the farm buildings.

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by Michael Edwards

Its a 10K Grant ie non repayable

The container opposite me which is less than 20ft away was rated at the time of inspection in March 2017. He stores tools for doing light construction work and also mechanics. His container has set a precedent. If I missed the inspection but have had my container there since September 2017 I think I would be eligible to pay rates and be able to access the grant. 

Free money from the Government has to worth looking into.