Big Thank You To Boys At Greenmech & Global

5 shires

To get any warranty on an engine, there are a certain number of hoops to jump through before you get engineering acceptance to sign off the fit. Then the engine supplier likes things done his way in terms of an investigation into the cause and the repair and any costs involved and who pays for them. If the manufacturer tries to circumvent these pathways, perhaps by diagnosing over the phone or getting a non approved agent to do any work, the engine supplier can wash his hands of the whole affair! In the extreme, they can withold  future engines and decline to be a supplier from then onwards.

Global reacted very well in this instance and as they are approved Vanguard service people, and have a close relationship with Wayne, they were able to get on with the job promptly and they had an Evo165 available at the time too. The fault was regrettable but they were in a position to step up and thanks to there efforts and the relationship they have with Wayne, it worked well.  Well done Global, and well done Wayne for your comments.

Not all dealers are allowed to do warranties on engines, they have to go to an approved dealer and you are at their back and call. That is irrespective of engine make or machine.....

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, PeteB said:

To get any warranty on an engine, there are a certain number of hoops to jump through before you get engineering acceptance to sign off the fit. Then the engine supplier likes things done his way in terms of an investigation into the cause and the repair and any costs involved and who pays for them.

Weasel words @PeteB but I've no gripe with Greenmech, my point was many people will see posts about the difficulty in getting a straightforward warranty repair in France for B&S engines. As @Ty Korrigan said the pump could have been swapped out in days so a manufacturer wishing to keep a name for themselves in France could have made a swap out and sent the faulty part for analysis on a sale or refund basis.

As for Global I always found them an excellent firm to deal with but didn't have any warranty claims for machines I bought from them as far as I recall. Andy got results, maybe a reflection on his bike racing heritage.

• Like 1

Unfortunately,  in Stuart's case, he was told that it needed to go away. If my memory serves me, the nearest who was equipped and trained on the EFI, was not local, and didn't have a loan chipper. It was some weeks before they got to see the machine and there may have been a misdiagnosis or that the mechanic wanted to do it his way etc....for whatever reason, a replacement  pump wasn't to hand and took a while to sort. As frustrating for GreenMech as it was for Stuart. I understand that we made representations to Vanguard in the UK but it was a trying time for all.

I heard from another Vanguard approved dealer and they are supposed to carry out repairs to Briggs engines no matter in what. He had a domestic lawn mower in that would not run. The owner brought it from an online supplier and they referred him to the Briggs webpage. He refused to accept that if it wasn't warranty or the warranty refused by Briggs, he would be liable for the bill. As he wouldn't pay the estimated £60 per hour workshop rates. The dealer told him to return it to the supplier as they didn't want to be involved.....

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

To get any warranty on an engine, there are a certain number of hoops to jump through before you get engineering acceptance to sign off the fit. Then the engine supplier likes things done his way in terms of an investigation into the cause and the repair and any costs involved and who pays for them. If the manufacturer tries to circumvent these pathways, perhaps by diagnosing over the phone or getting a non approved agent to do any work, the engine supplier can wash his hands of the whole affair! In the extreme, they can withold  future engines and decline to be a supplier from then onwards.

Global reacted very well in this instance and as they are approved Vanguard service people, and have a close relationship with Wayne, they were able to get on with the job promptly and they had an Evo165 available at the time too. The fault was regrettable but they were in a position to step up and thanks to there efforts and the relationship they have with Wayne, it worked well.  Well done Global, and well done Wayne for your comments.

Not all dealers are allowed to do warranties on engines, they have to go to an approved dealer and you are at their back and call. That is irrespective of engine make or machine.....

Pete your quite right in what you say..when I brought my first machine I went through Global and had it on finance at 0% intrest and were very good and there after any issues I had I would ring and have a chat with Andy or Dan and if I couldn’t sort I would drop it in and it would get sorted and I would have a loan machine and there starts a good working relationship which has carried on with jase and lads at Greenmech to the extent that last summer the paint on my new 150p started to flake in some areas and after a couple of phone calls and photographs sent the machine went in for a complete breakdown and respray and as it happened I was away for 2 weeks and had another loan machine For another couple of weeks so it worked out well and when I had it back it was amazing job the boys had done and I even they even changed the fuel gauge(which by the way is pretty crap) but the 3 year parts and labour warranty is so comforting to know it’s there.so up to date is my 150p is in and I have a Evo 165 on loan which by the way is a great sales pitch because i’am already working out my finances and how much I can get for my 150 because I will be definitely going for a Evo 165p in the not to distant future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You know... 

I'd really like that to experience that level of service without asking.

I currently have 3 issues which are a little more serious than mere 'cosmetics' and impact greatly on the machines usability, efficiency and even future value.

Now GM have kindly offered to let me bring it back to the factory where they will no doubt work around the clock by candlelight light under the post Brexit, post pandemic austerity measures to ensure my continued customer satisfaction.

I'm resigned to do this but these stories of great customer service from U.K GM and Forst dealers make me a little nauseous and really highlight a cultural difference between the U.K and France.

It is not unimaginable though...to have it picked up by GM France, for there are precidents who were given a shiny new loaner for the duration and had their machine returned in a 'detailed' condition, not entirely the stuff of wild fantasy. 

However, more likely, even if I had bought my 150P in France, paid full list price, sucked off the dealer and his wifes dog, I'd still more likely get little more than a gallic shrug and lose my machine for an unknown number of weeks/months.

For if an easy to diagnose and cheap to fix engine fault takes 4 weeks to turn around, how long would a French dealer take to sort out 3 far more serious issues?

This is no reflection on the help and support given by PeteB, Ashley of GAGroundcare or Jase Hutch and his team who I shall be seeing once the fog of pandemic has lifted.

Stuart

Edited by Ty Korrigan
Anger and frustration...mostly.

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

You know... 

I currently have 3 issues which are a little more serious than mere 'cosmetics' and impact greatly on the machines usability, efficiency and even future value.

Now GM have kindly offered to let me bring it back to the factory where they will no doubt work around the clock by candlelight light under the post Brexit, post pandemic austerity measures to ensure my continued customer satisfaction.

I'm resigned to do this but these stories of great customer service from U.K GM and Forst dealers make me a little nauseous and really highlight a cultural difference between the U.K and France.

It is not unimaginable though...to have it picked up by GM France, for there are precidents who were given a shiny new loaner for the duration and had their machine returned in a 'detailed' condition, not entirely the stuff of wild fantasy. 

However, more likely, even if I had bought my 150P in France, paid full list price, sucked off the dealer and his wifes dog, I'd still more likely get little more than a gallic shrug and lose my machine for an unknown number of weeks/months.

For if an easy to diagnose and cheap to fix engine fault takes 4 weeks to turn around, how long would a French dealer take to sort out 3 far more serious issues?

This is no reflection on the help and support given by PeteB, Ashley of GAGroundcare or Jase Hutch and his team who I shall be seeing once the fog of pandemic has lifted.

Stuart

I hear exactly what you are saying stu cultural differences will obviously dictate and come into play here which is very unfortunate and yes living here in the uk with dealerships close to hand and even the Greenmech factory 20mins down the road helps considerably with any issues that I or anybody else over here may have..was’t trying to 

pour salt into your wounds but just saying it like it is with the way I have found the customer service has been for me personally.anyway I hope you get sorted either way.

8 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

You know... 

Stuart

Didn’t you have issues with the 190 and Greenmech France lent you a 200?

Why does GM allow their international branches operate on a different ethos to the areas surrounding the factory ?‍♂️ Stuart's 150 is unusable imho from what I've seen of it, none of which began since the lockdown. I know if my chipper developed even a minor fault it'll be collected from site with a new machine left in its place, because this exactly what happened