damaged leaves on tree/bush

Paola

Question

Hi again, this may be linked to the problem posted earlier with the cypress. We also have in the garden some kind of tree/bush (I really am not an expert), and one of them died entirely, the others (two) had in the past summer very damaged leaves. Now they seem to be picking up, but I am fairly sure that the moment summer comes the problem will be back. Only, I do not know what these bushes / trees are (could you tell me their name?), nor do I know what the illness is, and whether one can do something about it. I attach photos (taken recently, just now). Thanks!

P_20200408_133331.jpg

P_20200408_133616.jpg

P_20200408_133300.jpg

3 answers to this question

V.tinus is a very resilient shrub.  If the soil conditions are good it'll live with the beetle fine; I doubt you'll keep them away for long, if at all, however much effort you expend.

Look to your soil, not the foliage!

On 08/04/2020 at 14:11, Paul in the woods said:

Your shrub looks like a viburnum to me, possibly Viburnum tinus or similar.

Which would mean the damage is very likely to be viburnum beetle. If you google that you'll see lots of pics of similar damage.

I looked up, but found various recommendations - the least damaging solution was spraying with neem oil; alternatively, some websites just suggested waiting and cutting the excessively damaged part - but one of these viburnum bushes died entirely, so I am not very happy about not doing anything.... what would you recommend? .