Getting back in the system

Mark Bolam

I’ve seen this before, it was no drama 

“ I’ve been travelling for the last few years, my ni number is xxx, this is the last address you had for me, this is my new address please can I have my utr number as I’m setting up as self employed” 

job done, admittedly that was 10 years ago so there is probably a load more paperwork etc to sort now just to keep a chair polisher in a job ?

7 minutes ago, Will C said:

I’ve seen this before, it was no drama 

“ I’ve been travelling for the last few years, my ni number is xxx, this is the last address you had for me, this is my new address please can I have my utr number as I’m setting up as self employed” 

job done, admittedly that was 10 years ago so there is probably a load more paperwork etc to sort now just to keep a chair polisher in a job ?

No more paperwork, it's as simple as you say. Believe someone who's done it more than once. Bolam's mate can just crack on, he's done nothing wrong.

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

Thanks fellas, I’ll pass all this on.

I can’t work out if it’s better for him to do it while all this drama is going on or to wait for some kind of normality to return.

What difference do you think it would make, Mark?

Dont think this will be as easy as every one says ? but i could be wrong, no NI payments for 10 yrs, no record of a fixed address, not on any polling register, first thing there going to ask is where have you been ? when did you get back ? was you earning where ever you where ? i think all this will be very hard to explain and get a way with, as most if not all government departments are all linked together and in this day and age it will not take long to find out, and if he said he had been over seas they could ask the same questions else where ! if he said he flew in, sailed in or came on train through the tunnel his name will be allocated to a seat or some thing, i think this needs some very careful thought and may be some sound addvise from some one who knows and deals with issues like this, i think one big can of worms and one massive headache, and if he is not careful a estimated tax bill could be dropping through the letter box, one small step at a time with this and plenty of thought, Good luck, 

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

i think one big can of worms and one massive headache, and if he is not careful a estimated tax bill could be dropping through the letter box,

that's exactly what happened to me in the early nineties, spent about 18 months self employed here and there without saying anything, then took another PAYE job. Letter went something like "between date x and y we have no record of you registering as unemployed, you must have been supporting yourself somehow now pay some tax you sly parasite. How can you expect to live in a country and make use  of it's healthcare, police, education, yet pay nothing in return? People like you need to wake up to what being civilised is all about - or we will find you and send you to prison. Now pay up" or words to that effect.

• Like 1

I would get a good story ready - with a bit of supporting evidence ( I lived an a pony farm in a caravan , they gave me food whilst I looked for alien UFO spacecraft ) something - but paperwork should be not much hassle. K

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tree-fancier123 said:

that's exactly what happened to me in the early nineties, spent about 18 months self employed here and there without saying anything, then took another PAYE job. Letter went something like "between date x and y we have no record of you registering as unemployed, you must have been supporting yourself somehow now pay some tax you sly parasite. How can you expect to live in a country and make use  of it's healthcare, police, education, yet pay nothing in return? People like you need to wake up to what being civilised is all about - or we will find you and send you to prison. Now pay up" or words to that effect.

Yes and thats near on 30 years ago, and if any body thinks its going to be a walk in the park to day and be so easy, well it ain,t the person in question will have some serious questions to answer and believe it or not HMRC will know the answer before the question is asked but you will get your chancem but you will have to have a fantastic memory and be very cleaver to avoid any penaltys, good luck,