Covid-19

Baldbloke

@Big J the Scandinavian countries are a different part of the spectrum, i wouldnt compare  - this is a Virus, it will mutate, a vaccine may not work fully and each countries economy works differently. We will see this impacting us for a generation or two until better controls or some degree of resistance is  acquired.   K

Just now, Woodworks said:

It might well be the way but why did they say they will keep the R below 1?

Maybe to maintain some sort of benchmark? Try keep it below 1, expect the population to follow the frankly easy to undertand guidelines and if it goes back above 1 then impose stricter guidelines again. 

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

We now have a lowish amount of the population infected so if we stay at a similar level it will take and age to get herd immunity.

But the guidelines are now relaxed.

2 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

They just seem to have made a rod for their own back if what you say is the plan

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I dont know what the right thing to do is here. We simply cant weld people into their homes like in China. Personally I think we should get back on with it and try and ride it out. As long as there is bed spaces we can cope. But allow those in danger to make their own minds up if they return to a semi-normal life. 

Im certainly not trying to avoid getting it. Ive either had it or its eluding me. :D 

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@Big J the Scandinavian countries are a different part of the spectrum, i wouldnt compare  - this is a Virus, it will mutate, a vaccine may not work fully and each countries economy works differently. We will see this impacting us for a generation or two until better controls or some degree of resistance is  acquired.   K

Ie - herd immunity. It’s been the plan from the start, is still the only way out at present, and isn’t as big a deal as the scaremongering press have made it out to be. 
I still maintain this is where the government are taking us, they are just no longer able to say so.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Maybe to maintain some sort of benchmark? Try keep it below 1, expect the population to follow the frankly easy to undertand guidelines and if it goes back above 1 then impose stricter guidelines again. 

But the guidelines are now relaxed.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I dont know what the right thing to do is here. We simply cant weld people into their homes like in China. Personally I think we should get back on with it and try and ride it out. As long as there is bed spaces we can cope. But allow those in danger to make their own minds up if they return to a semi-normal life. 

Im certainly not trying to avoid getting it. Ive either had it or its eluding me. :D 

I clearly am not explaining my point very well. To get herd immunity in any sensible timeframe we need more than are currently  infected to keep passing it on. We wont have a lot people infected at any one time if we do keep the R below 1 as they have promised. 

Does that make sense? 

I clearly am not explaining my point very well. To get herd immunity in any sensible timeframe we need more than are currently  infected to keep passing it on. We wont have a lot people infected at any one time if we do keep the R below 1 as they have promised. 

Does that make sense? 

Yes, it does make sense. :) But I thought the governments new relaxed guidelines have only came into effect this week? So is it not a little early to say that the guidelines we now have in effect will keep the guidelines below one? You yourself seem to indicate they may not?   

''So what will follow? The government has said it will keep the R below 1 yet its was barely below that a few weeks back. Will they lockdown again or just bluster that this is the plan? ''

And the plan is to relax the guidelines even further. If the Government is planning on stealth herd immunity then maybe it will be a case of 'woops' we've gone over R1 again. 

I dont know what a sensible time frame is either? But it makes sense to me to slowly get herd immunity at a rate that the hospitals can cope with the increasing influx of arrivals at the ICU, at least until such a time as a proven vaccine is in place. And if thats not gonna be the case then the UK is ahead of the game in regards to Herd Immunity. Even if we do get a viable Vaccine as soon as C-19 mutates again we're kinda back to the drawing board till the next vaccine is produced. Like the common Flu Jab. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Yes, it does make sense. :) But I thought the governments new relaxed guidelines have only came into effect this week? So is it not a little early to say that the guidelines we now have in effect will keep the guidelines below one? You yourself seem to indicate they may not?   

I would be staggered if they did. It is like a different world here this week not that movement alone will create transmission but you can see how lax many are now being as it feels closer to the old normal. 

Love to be wrong on this though. 

I would be staggered if they did. It is like a different world here this week not that movement alone will create transmission but you can see how lax many are now being as it feels closer to the old normal. 

Love to be wrong on this though. 

As Ive said, Im really not fussed about catching it. So I've basically stopped acting like it exists. :D Not once have I used sanitizer on Shopping trollys, and Im shopping every other day at least. Im popping into town each and every day. Taxis, flights, you name it. Still cant seem to bloody catch it though. :D