Gun stock refinishing

Johnsond

Hi All 

Looking to remove the gloss/lacquer type finish that’s on an old anschutz 1427, had this thing for 21 yrs now and have always meant to get round to sorting the stock. Looking for the best option to remove the existing coating  and any ideas on best oil finish for the stock afterward. It’s not a showpiece and gets used regularly in the field. 
cheers 

6D62F60E-E309-4296-8EB5-5F5E2FE6A1FD.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All 

Looking to remove the gloss/lacquer type finish that’s on an old anschutz 1427, had this thing for 21 yrs now and have always meant to get round to sorting the stock. Looking for the best option to remove the existing coating  and any ideas on best oil finish for the stock afterward. It’s not a showpiece and gets used regularly in the field. 
cheers 

6D62F60E-E309-4296-8EB5-5F5E2FE6A1FD.png

OK this is write up my street, If it was me i have a pot sand blaster here which i would have used to clean it back to bare wood, Other option is to gently wire wool it or use a fine sand paper. Apply 3 coats of fiddes rugger brown wax and use a polishing brush to buffer it each coat, Then i would apply 2 coats yacht varnish to harden for every day use 

Fiddes Supreme Rugger Brown Furniture Wax Polish ...

Clear Yacht Varnish Spray Exterior Interior Waterproof 250ml 

Edited by topchippyles

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

OK this is write up my street, If it was me i have a pot sand blaster here which i would have used to clean it back to bare wood, Other option is to gently wire wool it or use a fine sand paper. Apply 3 coats of fiddes rugger brown wax and use a polishing brush to buffer it each coat, Then i would apply 2 coats yacht varnish to harden for every day use 

Fiddes Supreme Rugger Brown Furniture Wax Polish ...

Clear Yacht Varnish Spray Exterior Interior Waterproof 250ml 

Cheers Les

Hoping to try and replicate the finish I had on a Tikka M595 super deluxe, it had mat oiled type finish no shine at all. , beautiful bit of wood, I’ve regretted selling it many a time. 

Goggle fiddes and you will get a shade close to what your looking for And could use a matt finish which will not give a shine,Other than that an oil based finish applied with a rag,Link below and they will have what your looking for, All made in their own workshops in cardiff and sold worldwide,   (Bootiful) as  bernard  Mathews used to say about his turkeys ?

FIDDES - FOR BEAUTIFUL WOOD

Edited by topchippyles

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Goggle fiddes and you will get a shade close to what your looking for And could use a matt finish which will not give a shine,Other than that an oil based finish applied with a rag,Link below and they will have what your looking for, All made in their own workshops in cardiff and sold worldwide,   (Bootiful) as  bernard  Mathews used to say about his turkeys ?

FIDDES - FOR BEAUTIFUL WOOD

? Cheers Les 

• Like 1

Ok, when I did a HW80 stock I scraped the old varnish off, sealed the wood with a varnish heavily diluted with white spirits so it filled the pores but did not sit on the surface. Then I made my own rub-in stain with white spirits and burned umber artists paint which I applied as really thin washes til I  got to the colour I needed and finally oiled it and waxed it.  The stock is probably beech, so you could get hold of a piece and practice 1st

11 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers Les

Hoping to try and replicate the finish I had on a Tikka M595 super deluxe, it had mat oiled type finish no shine at all. , beautiful bit of wood, I’ve regretted selling it many a time. 

First centre fire rifle I bought was a Tikka M55 (if I recall) in 270 Win. That was 1981. Cracking rifle, floating barrel, never let me down. I started on 150 grain but changed to 130, but found them too hot. A friend of mine supplied home loads, back to150 but used a slower powder. Used on Sika , found that they weren't doing the same damage to the carcass as shop bought, in this case Norma. Changed over eventually to a 243 which did the job. 

• Like 1