Thailand

Lancstree

Out of the blue I'm going next month. Anyone been and can recommend places to see please post here. I might fit in a lunge while I'm out there!

i have been over a couple of times, what are your interests, who you going with and what sort of things do you fancy doing?

Going with one brother from England and meeting one from Australia out there. No interest in lady boys and in a relationship so no 'extra' encounters! Trees obviously, waterfalls, scenery, unusual outdoor activities, bush tucker. I don't think we are going to be hanging round bangkok very long as from what I've heard you choke to death from fumes. Going for 2 weeks

always nice on the island, there are a huge variety to choose from and all things associated with it like scuba, snorkeling and watersports. as your only there for a couple of weeks i would try and sort flights to places from bangkok. pretty cheap by our standards, save on travelling time. maybe choose an area, fly to it and then use ferries or buses to explore. Mopeds are cheap as chips, i have always gone for mtx or similar as you can get a bit more fun outta them.

I would definitely check out the Muay Thai (thai boxing) in bangkok. Lumpini and Ratchadamneon stadiums are the ones to attend for world class fights. The fights in resorts can be a laugh but often fixed. The night market is cool in Bangkok, as is 'soi cowboy' (remember you can look but you cannot touch!!) and there a plenty of temples to check out and hopping bargains to be had. food is plentiful but hot, cheap and i mean hot... usually a lot hotter than over here. If a waiter asks you "pet mai?' it means do you want it hot? just pretend your a geordie and reply "Mai pet" - or not too hot otherwise you may suffer.

oh and watch out for the scams. it is definitely worthwhile getting a lonely planet/roughguide type book.

or you could just book into a resort nr bangkok and become a typical sex tourist...:001_tongue::001_tongue:

enjoy

Can only talk about Bangkok because 3 days didn't give us the chance to get out of the city, shame. Would have liked to head down to the Islands.

Lumpini stadium Muay Thai was great.

River cruise was a good way to see plenty in a hurry, you can book your own river cab and stop anywhere you fancy.

Khao San Road is worth a wander up and down, real tourist trap, but in the best way.

Food is awesome.

Enjoy.

Long time since I traveled through there. Koh Samui was the island of choice for ravers, now a mainstream resort. Koh phangan was the Hippy haven for breakaway backpackers - probably now a mainstream resort!

As mentioned, invest in a 'Lonely Planet' or similar to wise up on the latest scams, particularly in Bangkok - where everything is fake, not just the orgasms.:biggrin: Be especially careful about drink prices in some of the back street clubs, I had a truly horrendous altercation in one with a couple of Kiwis that ended up with one guy getting stabbed after we were locked in for disputing the bill. Don't let that put you off though, just the alcohol and youthful bravado got the better of us.:blushing: Chang Mai (sp.) is good, nice trekking in the hills, and try and get to Kanchanaburi - the ''Bridge on the River Kwai'' and visit the 'JEATH' museum and war graves. Incredible what those men went through and the ingenuity they showed to survive. It left a lasting impression on me to this day.

Have a blast!:thumbup:

Get a taxi and get out of Bangkok ASAP to Pattaya 2 hours ride and about 1200-1500baht.

Stay here for a few days LK Renaissance - - LK Group Pattaya Hotels " Welcome to LK Group Definitely Exclusive Hotels & Resorts in Pattaya "

Then book a trip easily done from hotel another 2 hour taxi to http://www.kosamet.net/ stay at white sands beach

Otherwise take your chances!

I can get you very good rates at that hotel if you decide to stay there.

Edited by A_lopa