Husqvarna 385

Toad

In free air it will hit the governor very quickly, in an ideal world you would adjust the carb under full load, as you will not have the kit to do that, i would lean off till the governor comes in and in a touch more, try in a good size log, under full load it should not hit the governor, as you ease off then yes the governor comes in, you can check the spark plug colour after a few cuts to make sure she is not running too lean, hope all this makes sense.

12 hours ago, adw said:

In free air it will hit the governor very quickly, in an ideal world you would adjust the carb under full load, as you will not have the kit to do that, i would lean off till the governor comes in and in a touch more, try in a good size log, under full load it should not hit the governor, as you ease off then yes the governor comes in, you can check the spark plug colour after a few cuts to make sure she is not running too lean, hope all this makes sense.

By "governor" I am taking it you are talking about that brass carb rev limiter screw plug as fitted to my 181SE......the one all tuners blank off as it makes max revs around 8,500rpm and give you a saw that is boggy and useless??

I have never seen one on a 385 or 390 - only done a small number of 385s but just set them to 500rpm of max revs, same as most ported saws I do - they can take more but I like to build in a bit of headroom to my builds so they won't go pop if they see a little air leak of slightly less oil etc.

Same as with coil rev limiters - take the carb H screw to just where the limiter starts kicking in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spudulike said:

By "governor" I am taking it you are talking about that brass carb rev limiter screw plug as fitted to my 181SE......the one all tuners blank off as it makes max revs around 8,500rpm and give you a saw that is boggy and useless??

I have never seen one on a 385 or 390 - only done a small number of 385s but just set them to 500rpm of max revs, same as most ported saws I do - they can take more but I like to build in a bit of headroom to my builds so they won't go pop if they see a little air leak of slightly less oil etc.

Same as with coil rev limiters - take the carb H screw to just where the limiter starts kicking in.

I assumed the limiter in the coil was what was mean by governor.

Thanks both, when I get to use/run it a bit more I'll have another crack at adjusting it, probably won't be for a while as my hernias are causing a bit of pain at the moment.

6 hours ago, spudulike said:

No Steve not the old vibration governor, i meant the ignition governor/limiter, these machines have the blue unit, cant remember now what they were limited too, that's what old age and furlough has done to me. I always let them hit the governor, sorry limiter, and lean off a shade more.

OK, around about what I do then, make the carb rich, follow the increase in revs until you see the limiter kick in and sends your tach all over the place......not heard it called a governor but may be your age;), I usually refer to it as a limited coil or rev limiter!

The way to handle furlough is to work out how much money you are saving by not going out and spending it on alcohol!!! Works for me:thumbup:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spudulike said:

The way to handle furlough is to work out how much money you are saving by not going out and spending it on alcohol!!! Works for me:thumbup:

Sounds good,  prolly ought to make a deduction for alcohol consumed at home. ... luckily for me its home brew cider which cost next to zero (can't be arsed to factor in capital expenditure).... hic....

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good go with the saw yesterday, all went well apart from finding a stone quickly with a new chain, but that is just one of those things.

There are two little niggles, one is that I filled with jb weld, drilled and retapped a screw hole for the top cover. This screw feels tight but twice came undone fell out and disappeared into the grass and sawdust. Anyone got any ideas about retaining it? I tried loctite on attempt 2 and have applied a little of the threebond instant gasket to the threads now in the hope that the sticky nature of the product will retain the screw better. 

The other is that I'm not sure it is oiling well enough. I think I need to fill both tanks and run the fuel to empty to be sure, but it doesn't seem to be pushing as much oil put as the 372. The oil pump is set to 4.5 turns out now.

• 9 months later...

Had the opportunity to nibble on some decent sized beech with the 385 yesterday for the first time in ages. I've had a problem with one of the top cover screws coming loose, when I got the saw someone had jammed a larger random screw into it. I filled it with JB weld, drilled and tapped it, but the threads have failed and the screws come loose quickly. Am in the process of trying this again, but has anyone got any ideas on a better solution if it doesn't work? I think the original hole is too big for a helicoil now.