Husqvarna 385

Toad

On 01/05/2020 at 20:42, Toad said:

Yeah I saw that, the end of the crank where the circlip is fitted is damaged, and I just don't feel that enthusiastic about it when they refer to the cylinder as the 'engine'.

theres a piston on flea bay for Husky 58mm if i remember right also had bits for 55 and crank set also barrels and pistons.there was a walbro carb also

10 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Ive one that came out of my 372xp if you want it? it is clean had a new one so stuck that in when put new gaskets in

Thank you! I've got a little pile of old carbs. Hoping to find one that fits or make something up. Looks like someone fitted one that was too large before and poked the tip of a screwdriver through it.

5 hours ago, Toad said:

Thank you! I've got a little pile of old carbs. Hoping to find one that fits or make something up. Looks like someone fitted one that was too large before and poked the tip of a screwdriver through it.

Can cut round it with sharp scissors then form over end of biro/pencil etc not pointed end though! or blunt end of a drill thats just under right size of hole

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon,

Finished wacking the 385 back together today, all went fairly smoothly. Cocked up filling, drilling and tapping a cover screw hole so had to redo that and learnt a few more lessons. I got a proper gauze filter from Tillotson in the end, rather than mess about with jamming other gauzes in.

Anyway, it's in one piece and wearing a 28" bar and chain. I let it idle for a minute or two, shut it off, let it idle and revved it a couple of times then shut it off, did this a couple of times just to let things bed in and then tried it on a few bits of wood. Went really well, and I'm pleased with my efforts so far.

I believe it is running a bit lean at the moment though, and I'm struggling a bit with adjusting the carb. The L screw is quite easy to rotate so it's difficult to feel if you've got the screwdriver engaged and you're making a difference. I might try a different screwdriver to see if that engages a bit more easily with that one.

I think the coil is limited, its light blue in colour and when I try to set the high screw the tachometer shows 4-6000 rpm, which clearly isn't right, in the cut its showing 11000 ish rpm, so I assume I'm currently bouncing off the limiter. Thinking about the situation, should I richen the H side up until its max revs are below the limiter and then lean it out till the tach shows 13000 rpm or so?

Keep the taco away from the ignition unit, remove the top cover and push the taco hard against the hot cap, you should then get a correct rpm reading, if you set the speed up to when the ignition cuts in it will be very rich.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, adw said:

Keep the taco away from the ignition unit, remove the top cover and push the taco hard against the hot cap, you should then get a correct rpm reading, if you set the speed up to when the ignition cuts in it will be very rich.

Hello! Thanks for your reply!

I don't quite understand the last sentance though, might you be able to explain a little further?

• Like 1