Husqvarna 385

Toad

Just now, Toad said:

Yeah I saw that, the end of the crank where the circlip is fitted is damaged, and I just don't feel that enthusiastic about it when they refer to the cylinder as the 'engine'.

Ok . Fair enough .  Saw the pot with carb attatched . Couple of missing fins .

• 2 weeks later...

When rebuilding the carb, I assume the metering arm needs to be level with the base of the bowl on the tillotson carb, not the actual flat of the body?

I think in this case it needs to come up ever so slightly?

20200511_142755.jpg

When rebuilding the carb, I assume the metering arm needs to be level with the base of the bowl on the tillotson carb, not the actual flat of the body?

I think in this case it needs to come up ever so slightly?
20200511_142755.thumb.jpg.b1944170c069ab7a1e3e0e98c0c83039.jpg
Usually its the flat of the carb body. But i may be wrong if its an unusual one. Is the pimple on the diaphram massive or normal?

Im sure many gauzes will fit but id use a carb gauze. Will be the correct microns etc. Prolly one from a cheap chinese carb kit will do. Or just clean and check ( holding up to light) the one you have, assuming it hasnt wazzed across you workshop when using the compressor as mine usually do
  • Like 1

Looks like a TIllotson, level with the bottom of the bowl, NOT the outer carb body. The gauze strainer should be a smaller one than most other saws with Walbro or Zama carbs, never really got that one as they are fitted to some of the larger saws.

Check the dimple in the middle of the diaphragm as if it is notched, it needs to hook on to the metering arm. If solid, it just rests on it as normal. 

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1

Awesome. Thanks Steve, it is a tillotson and it does have the notch. I was wondering about if it should hook in. I'll sort that out later.

Sadly someone has poked a hole in the existing gauze prior to me getting hold of it.

It probably wasn't hooked on before as it has forced the metering arm down. You just apply a light pressure in the middle of the diaphragm and slide it on to the metering arm and the outer location pegs at the same time. Relatively simple but important otherwise it will flood like that other fellas 026 that wasn't a carb issue!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toad said:

Also, can you get generic material for the gauze filters or is it best to go with the specific part. I've found money has a small hole. Might have a used one in a 372 carb I suspect.

Ive one that came out of my 372xp if you want it? it is clean had a new one so stuck that in when put new gaskets in