Husqvarna 385

Toad

Evening. 

I'm a bit curious about the differences between the 385 and 390, was it just the piston and cylinder that were different? Are all other parts interchangeable?

I've had a look around for a meteor piston and cylinder but struggling a little. Has anyone got any advice on British or European suppliers?

Thank you!

Try ADW, I am sure he would love to give you a part by part breakdown of all the tiny differences between the two machines but he has probably gone to bed9_9

1mm on the piston and bore size is probably the main one.

The Greek bloke on ebay has the pistons, has the bore been destroyed or can you reuse it?

You could stick a 390XP top end on it!

Edited by spudulike

I had a 385 and now have a Spud ported 390 . In standard trim I think the 385 is slightly more  aggressively ported . It seemed to have more zip than the 390 . Both saws respond to Spuds attention though ! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, adw said:

Yes are far as I remember the only difference was the bore size

Flippin heck, I gave you a big drum roll entrance expecting some flanged trunion pin being 0.001mm larger in diameter and that was it.....I feel dejected and let down;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I know, i was quite surprised myself, had it been a 254 or 266 i could have blinded you with useless facts, anyway glad you and yours are well and not lost your sense of humor, even with all this crap going on.

• Like 3

Thanks all so far, I had been looking around and found that the 390 parts seemed more available on the L&S engineers website, but didn't want to buy parts that would not fit.

I'm getting my hands on a 385 with unknown faults. Thinking of going for a complete rebuild in the same way I did my 357 and 371, the parts seem a bit more expensive than the smaller saws at the moment.

It is a saw that will be used incredibly rarely so will be run on Aspen to save any carb or fuel system issues.

• Like 1

So I definitely need a piston, it's an unbranded aftermarket cylinder so will probably replace that too. 

Will put a carb kit in, new fuel and impulse line, intake boot, crank seals plus fix up a few little bits I'm not overly enthusiastic about otherwise it seems quite solid. 

The piston appears to have touched the crankcase at bdc scraping some of the paint from the inside of it which doesn't look ideal. I assume the piston skirt was a bit long.