stihl 044 changing to HD2 air filter parts

AngrySquirrel

38 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Those little Bahco sets are supremely handy. My mate, Neil, an otherwise laid back man, watches me like a hawk when it’s out with us on the driveway and he thinks I might pocket it.

Yep have the 3/8 and 1/2" sets also i had to replace a 1/4 drive Am pro one that some light fingered Cnut that i helped out stole was great lent onit so much that broke extension bar! but liked could use one handed which with 1/4 drive is often what you want so can hold part etc so don't want a ratchet with any drag on gear and your not looking for 100 ft lb of torque!

3/8&1/2 don't matter as using bigger sockets and heavier jobs.

Ive a set of deep 1/4 drive sockets that go from 5.5 -12mm handy for Jubilee clips when working on manifolds.

Bahco gear is made with good steel.

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Just put the jungle muff on, and retune the carb, you won’t be disappointed, your get more powa ? although anyone in the near vicinity will say that’s loud ?

?????

Got old one off found no cooling shield behind it! 

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Cooling plate Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 1128 141 3201 Suitable for the following Stihl Machines: 044, MS 440

So ordered that and short torxs as need 2 only have one and a felling dog set with chain roller so will get them to add to bits waiting to come from husky

What fixings do i need for outer dog ordered two bolts and two nuts which think are right as diagrams are not the easiest to follow on there

My 044 had a cooling back plate on.  As for the felling dogs, yes 2 bolts and nylon locking nuts 

bolts go from the inside, nuts on outside the part no are below 25 &26 but you can see the size, so could get them from anywhere, in normal times.. but I guess it’s easy to add to your order.

B8DE2284-02D5-48D4-A2F5-0BD34A04C498.jpeg

C666209A-A3E8-4DA6-ABBE-D52CB9727257.jpeg

• Like 1

If you remove the cat or have a straight thru/DP muffler, the cooling plate is not nearly as necessary. The muffler won't get anywhere near as hot as the factory cat one does and the air flow will be plenty except if you are working in Texas or sumfin..

One thing I noticed at least here in Ireland is BAHCO files are cheaper than most others. The last time I bought a set, they were made by OBERG. Oberg make very high quality files, and used to fetch a premium when I was working in the PNW, with some folks only ever using Oberg.

37 minutes ago, wyk said:

If you remove the cat or have a straight thru/DP muffler, the cooling plate is not nearly as necessary. The muffler won't get anywhere near as hot as the factory cat one does and the air flow will be plenty except if you are working in Texas or sumfin..

One thing I noticed at least here in Ireland is BAHCO files are cheaper than most others. The last time I bought a set, they were made by OBERG. Oberg make very high quality files, and used to fetch a premium when I was working in the PNW, with some folks only ever using Oberg.

The plate wasnt on there when evicted the Cat it had melted back of handle a bit also i noticed!

Looking forward to getting all the bits and trying it out!

Mind probably will end up soon selling the whole lot as health issues! Not sure if P tumour is increasing or internal as Arthritis has got everywhere of late for one

• Sad 1

On 25/04/2020 at 11:10, Wonky said:

My 044 had a cooling back plate on.  As for the felling dogs, yes 2 bolts and nylon locking nuts 

bolts go from the inside, nuts on outside the part no are below 25 &26 but you can see the size, so could get them from anywhere, in normal times.. but I guess it’s easy to add to your order.

B8DE2284-02D5-48D4-A2F5-0BD34A04C498.jpeg

C666209A-A3E8-4DA6-ABBE-D52CB9727257.jpeg

Dogs arrived but lost nuts in basket when ordered as it cleared! but reordered plus two of item 22 and 21 and 23

Other issue finding is the breather loosing fuel through it ordered the rubber valve thing but looking found another top part/valve which isn't listed with 044 but on the page so wondered if an upgrade?

Your have to exsplanne to me in different wordys, it Friday and there’s dam all else to do other than drink speckled hen,???

ive still got the thingy tube with two grub screws init, leaks like an elephant on heat ?? if you lay it over 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Your have to exsplanne to me in different wordys, it Friday and there’s dam all else to do other than drink speckled hen,???

ive still got the thingy tube with two grub screws init, leaks like an elephant on heat ?? if you lay it over 

Should try Bishops Finger! or Duval if want some real fun! 8.5%

My one has a top hat with a channel on one side which fits over a filter then have a rubber mushroom job that looks like finger the tank then catch thing bit and pull through to catch retention ball on it! similar to one on the 066 thread.

There is what looks like an update/mod top you can fit which is on page for 044 on L&S but numbers list for other saws etc

looks like remove cover/top hat and maybe filter and push in there so stands upright with a better baffle?

Well put the HD2 kit on today and can last night then hopefully monday new deeper clutch cover arrives etc then can mount big spikes and chain roller

how does that look inside clutch housing?

20200501_183134[1].jpg

20200501_183208[1].jpg

Umm Duval.. I’ve sunk a few before very good stuff???? I like a bit of Belgium’s beers 

Oh..and...those dawgs,,, if they are China land metal, your gonna need to case harden them,  or as I did cherry red umm....and sinkum in dirty ol engine oil...watchum smokin on the water (deep purple)?, then clean them and blue um...etc.. you know what I mean..????

otherwise,,they be like bananas after the first few uses ? .. that’s why mine were black n red.. I painted them not to last but to cover up the  colour from the heatins

as for the tank fuel breather...there was a update for a 200t I got for my 200t, and before I fitted it , I thought would work on the 44 butt,,, ? it didn’t..I even looked a bit into the 660 parts ?,,, I think they just forgot about the 044. so I’m all ears on which update mod fits the bad design

btw that rubber mushyroom thing, I think it’s known as a ducks bill in some saws, because it looks like it and vents one way and not liquids the other way. although it’s an older designed like  that in the 44,   

let me know , it’s easy if someone else does it 1st ?

• Like 2