stihl 044 changing to HD2 air filter parts

AngrySquirrel

Hi have what believe is a 044 Kat as got it with faded label on top but checked codes on some parts which come back 044/046 (Be helpful to confirm either)

It's running the Standard winter? Cat flap thing with the oval cover inside that fixes with two screws over carb orifice which and has a multi panel filter cover over the lot then outer cover over that but was watching some vids on them and they was saying go to the HD filter set up as less restrictive?

Found shed loads of base plates with more part numbers than a lottery sweep stake! even ones that looked similar had different last digits.

I did when sniffing around on it few years back go with 044 as 046 has decompression button then found out other day the Kat(catalyst)ones didn't come with one anyway!

Mind would be helpful having one has rapped my knuckles a few times as fair bit of compression.

The other part looking at is the Kat is that a plus or minus? take it can change it to a twin port can?

I just rebuilt an old 044, 10mm wrist pin. Faffed around a bit.. mine didn’t ave a cat it had the other old exhust (I may find part numbers later if you want ) but it had 3circles in the back part..

I put a China dual port muff on as well as adv the timing 20thou.

as for the air filter... the old 044 carb don’t have a snorkel thing so I had a few options, I was not paying out silly dosh for a carb. So I went for the China stuff..inc the hd air filter and housings.. well the carb did not like me trying to tune it.. or more of it was the other way round... I ended up just blocking the intel port/hole with some stuff (rubber so I could pull it out if I wanted later) and retuned the oem carb.. it works better than the oem mesh filter.. ?

• Like 1

My 044 has standard filter and no decomp button, it's a 12mm little end and runs a 20" bar with no problems. It's plenty of power, I drilled a few 6mm holes in the baffle when I had the silencer off and it doesn't seem a lot louder for it.

Do you have/ seen the ipl.

http://oregonvyhne.sk/domains/7l8j90ep7a/my_files/Vkresy/Stihl_044_IPL_.pdf

the Kat in the muff Sapps the power the China dual port once fitted  needs carb a retune...

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Fits for STIHL 044 046 MS440 MS460 Chainsaw. 1 Piece of Chainsaw Muffler. Replace OEM#: 1125 140 0612 /...

• Like 1

What’s the serial number, that is the factor. if it’s a 10 wrist pin.it is before x 29454 serial. X being the first number usually 1 but could be different.

early  044 ‘s were denoted a good saw ,knowing if it’s  10 mm or a 12mm  are important if  you need certain parts.. but not all..?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wonky said:

What’s the serial number, that is the factor. if it’s a 10 wrist pin.it is before x 29454 serial. X being the first number usually 1 but could be different.

early  044 ‘s were denoted a good saw ,knowing if it’s  10 mm or a 12mm  are important if  you need certain parts.. but not all..?

Believe it's a later one as got elastomer cable with the red button would 91 ring a bell? looking at numbers on mouldings has 96 in middle.

So ditch the cat then? running a 20" came with an 18" but looking around for a 24" mind 372xp has 24".

been looking at iss engineers spec sheets/parts list gee my brain is fried but looks more 044 as looking at them 046 came with the oval filter.

Think post 88 as Kat came in then. to get to number think have to remove lid/Exhaust as on shoulder one or both is blocking it

Just tried ordering bits on hutzl/Farmer tec lists UK in shipping but wont do in basket. probably worried might send Covid bacck to them!lol

Well had lid off and cylinder head has slanted fins and no hole blocked off for decompression so guess puts firmly in 044 park?

Now Friends offering a new chain for helping out should i go with a 2nd 24" for 372 which is still pretty new or getting a Stihl 24" for this then need to get bar or just leave at 20"? Have a 15" on 346xp

12 hours ago, Wonky said:

Hi what part is the snorkel as mine has an oval/oblong vent to top of carb and from what seen/looked at so far isn't an auto choke? 137530157 is serial number

The early 12mm chassis used 10mm top ends. I have heard of 137's in Europe having identical topends to 129's.

As for the air filter, it mostly adds weight. Unless you are cutting very hard dusty woods in very dry climates, I wouldn't bother with the HD filter.

That muffler will definitely sap power. An after market one without the internal baffle is a good way to go, and cheap.

• Like 1