Arb Assoc now saying we can go back to work

wjotner

So what happens when you can't keep 2 metres away? Aerial rescue, handballing logs into the back of the wagon?

Everyone has their own view of this and obviously until anyone comes out with a comprehensive list of jobs that can and can't be carried out people will listen to what they want to as long as it fits their point of view. 

I'm at home and watching builders at the end of my garden building a house, all arriving in the same vehicle and then brickies and roofers all smoking on the scaffolding. 

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Aerial rescue gets bought up a lot, the risk and chance of needing is very low, as long as no one has symptoms (coughing, sneezing etc) then it’s only being passed if you transfer it to your own nasal system, so if your climber has symptoms, he should have been kicked off site to isolate.
Whoever does the rescue needs to wash as soon as is reasonably possible ( prob wants to anyway as most rescues involve claret liberally doused everywhere) The rescue climber then isolated for 14days to ensure they are clear.

It’s like finding a car crash and staying 2m away in case you catch something!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scraggs said:

Trouble is it's the very large proportion who think they do but actually don't have a bloody clue that are a danger to everyone.
At the end of the day it's down to the individual if they want to carry on or not.
When this is over I will be able to say I have done as much as I could to ease the burden on the NHS and help control it's spread, whilst my competitors will be able to say I made a shed load of money because there was no competition, I know which one sits better with me.

I don’t disagree with much of what you say.

But it’s unlikely that people (like me) are going out there “to make a shed load of money because there was no competition” more that they’re doing it to keep their heads above water.

• Like 3

I was allowed out today after three weeks total isolation. It's two weeks since I brought my wife back from hospital so lockdown is over now. It felt very strange going shopping, my wife feels very unsure about doing it as that's what caused her to catch the virus in the first place. Leaving the house this morning I felt like Julie Andrews in the sound of Music running about the meadows, it was a big sense of relief. But when I was actually in the supermarket, it began to hit home what had happened to us. I couldn't wait to get out of there.  Cashiers locked behind plastic, wall to floor plastic sheets with slits for your credit card, gloved and masked, like something out of a science fiction film. Then when I got home, couldn't get in my gates with the van as four builders' vans where blocking the road and my gate. Each vehicle was double crewed, all working in the same room of the property opposite my place, not giving a far rat's arse about distancing. I was absolutely furious,  firstly by being blocked but more so for these cretins doing exactly what shouldn't be done. I still got a bollocking for cocking up the shopping list from my wife, end of a perfect day.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, scraggs said:

Trouble is it's the very large proportion who think they do but actually don't have a bloody clue that are a danger to everyone.
At the end of the day it's down to the individual if they want to carry on or not.
When this is over I will be able to say I have done as much as I could to ease the burden on the NHS and help control it's spread, whilst my competitors will be able to say I made a shed load of money because there was no competition, I know which one sits better with me.

The Becher’s Brook of this moral steeplechase is the (probably) innocent failure to realise that a sustained 6% drop in GDP is modelled to have a far higher deleterious effect upon life expectancy than the WORST predicted outcome of C19. 

Hence there has NEVER BEEN any government directive to stop work other than those businesses which are SPECIFICALLY listed as required to close. 

Anyone that wants to criticise a business for the ability to interpret and abide by government guidance rather than cower in fear of the condemnation of the media fed masses is perfectly welcome to do so. 

They are unlikely to be the type of client I’d be interested in anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think the majority are well past the stage of wondering if the should or shouldn’t work and have heard valid reasons from both points of view.
What I’m asking is for a bit more info from our trade body in how to carryout those task safely. There will be plenty of people out there working incorrectly due to not knowing how.
Unless you can can me exactly how to do a rigging job without cross contamination.

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t disagree with much of what you say.

But it’s unlikely that people (like me) are going out there “to make a shed load of money because there was no competition” more that they’re doing it to keep their heads above water.

Unfortunately in my trade one of the companies that has stayed open has recently just started, is backed by a local arrogant farmer and has used this time to poach customers.

Edited by scraggs

53 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The Becher’s Brook of this moral steeplechase is the (probably) innocent failure to realise that a sustained 6% drop in GDP is modelled to have a far higher deleterious effect upon life expectancy than the WORST predicted outcome of C19. 

Hence there has NEVER BEEN any government directive to stop work other than those businesses which are SPECIFICALLY listed as required to close. 

Anyone that wants to criticise a business for the ability to interpret and abide by government guidance rather than cower in fear of the condemnation of the media fed masses is perfectly welcome to do so. 

They are unlikely to be the type of client I’d be interested in anyway. 

Most of our trade customers have closed anyway, it's our private side that will hit us, but we will get through it financially, tbh if after nearly 40 years of trading we couldn't I would shut the business permanently anyway.
If you read what came out it was initially on Monday night and Tuesday "non essential" businesses.
For me the media places little bearing on my decision, my girlfriends background and knowledge in the subject however does.
If everyone had a grasp of contamination control I would feel a lot different to how I do but I am still amazed by the amount of builders and landscapers vans still going around with 2 or 3 people in the cab, and people I see still ignoring the distancing advice.

• Like 1