Transit Mk6

eggsarascal

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Did he just check the DTCs.

If it is a pump problem you may need to run under the real time to see the rail pressures.

I don't know, I left the van with him, I've rang back to ask but he's out taking a car for a MoT, the dippy young lass on the phone is going to get him to call me when he gets back.

29 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I don't know, I left the van with him, I've rang back to ask but he's out taking a car for a MoT, the dippy young lass on the phone is going to get him to call me when he gets back.

You need to be a bit more specific about the rough running symptoms, you have said the glow plug light is flashing, is this as soon as the engine starts?

When it is running rough does the engine idle and pull okay up to about 2k rpm and then cuts out? If this is so that is switching to get you home mode after a fault is detected. With a bit of care and thought, on flat ground you should be able to smoothly go through the gears keeping the revs below the trigger point and get up to a decent speed in top. It should have raised a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)  though.

13 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

You need to be a bit more specific about the rough running symptoms, you have said the glow plug light is flashing, is this as soon as the engine starts?

When it is running rough does the engine idle and pull okay up to about 2k rpm and then cuts out? If this is so that is switching to get you home mode after a fault is detected. With a bit of care and thought, on flat ground you should be able to smoothly go through the gears keeping the revs below the trigger point and get up to a decent speed in top. It should have raised a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)  though.

When it's running (being driven) the glow plug light comes on, (this doubles up as the EML) no limp mode, no loss of power, no smoke, I drove 30-odd miles, all normal. When it's ticking over it sometimes runs lumpy or stalls.

Edited by eggsarascal

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

When it's running (being driven) the glow plug light comes on, (this doubles up as the EML) no limp mode, no loss of power, no smoke, I drove 30-odd miles, all normal. When it's ticking over it sometimes runs lumpy or stalls.

:egg:`zz do yourself a favour  before you scramble your brain, you need to do one simple test. Check the integrity of the pipes and filter housing before the injector pump, all you need is the primer gadget linked in below, attach it to the inlet pipe that goes from the tank to the filter housing, prime the bulb for a minute or two and observe the flow into a jar, if the flow decreases and the priming bulb stays squashed you have a restriction, if the fuel flow is full of bubbles its drawing air from a dodgy connection ( possibly at the tank end, shitbag of a job ). If all is well connect priming bulb to the filter, if the filter housing has a problem ( they are shit) it will leak, by pumping up this circuit you can check the integrity of the filter housing and associated pipes to the engine. If all is well and not associated with the fuel delivery side of things you may have to  become a rent boy to pay someone to sort it.

Bob

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Diesel fuel system bleeding tool. Also can be used for bypassing the fuel filter if you suspect a restriction in the...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

:egg:`zz do yourself a favour  before you scramble your brain, you need to do one simple test. Check the integrity of the pipes and filter housing before the injector pump, all you need is the primer gadget linked in below, attach it to the inlet pipe that goes from the tank to the filter housing, prime the bulb for a minute or two and observe the flow into a jar, if the flow decreases and the priming bulb stays squashed you have a restriction, if the fuel flow is full of bubbles its drawing air from a dodgy connection ( possibly at the tank end, shitbag of a job ). If all is well connect priming bulb to the filter, if the filter housing has a problem ( they are shit) it will leak, by pumping up this circuit you can check the integrity of the filter housing and associated pipes to the engine. If all is well and not associated with the fuel delivery side of things you may have to  become a rent boy to pay someone to sort it.

Bob

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Diesel fuel system bleeding tool. Also can be used for bypassing the fuel filter if you suspect a restriction in the...

It's sorted b0D, I rang our kid, (used to be in the recovery trade), who rang a fella in Hatfield who put me on to a local fella, how's that work?

anyway I'm back up and running.

Fault codes were:

MAP p0235

EGR p0404

Fuel pump requests engine stop p1563

fuel pump malfunction p1664

crank position sensor fault p0335.

Total cost £0:00

It ain't what you know, it's who you know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It's sorted b0D, I rang our kid, (used to be in the recovery trade), who rang a fella in Hatfield who put me on to a local fella, how's that work?

Fault codes were:

MAP p0235

EGR p0404

They must have been old codes not deleted :egg:Z,  it would never of made it home with that lot unless it was just a problem with that big square mulitpin harness plug between the engine and bodywork.

Bob

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Fault codes were:

MAP p0235

EGR p0404

So how did they fix it?

Hi Eggs, chances are some of them are old faults and a possibility that some may come back due to failing components. A friend had a MK6 transit that had a fault every week, he spent a fortune listening to people, I bought this and found the fault straight away. Code readers and Snap On Solus won’t read MK6 Transits. I know your sorted now but invest in your own diagnostics if you have a laptop. I highly recommend this one from EBay and there forum and support is really good

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

· Audio Interface Module (AIM). · Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM). USB diagnostic scan tool. · Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM). Laptop based diagnostic USB lead. · All Wheel Drive Module (AWD).

For 15 quid it’s worth having for times like now.
  • Like 2

On 5 April 2020 at 09:29, doobin said:

Just had this last week on an LDV with 2.4 Duratorq- was air getting into the fuel line via the filter housing.

I had no fault codes either, which was bloody annoying and defeats the object of an EML!

I had this problem on mine and from experience air will be getting in from the tank where the metal  bent pipe comes out of the tank, a tiny hole smaller than a pin hole. If the top of the tank looks wet or damp with diesel then look there first. It's a negative pressure delivery system so any air in the loop causes loss of fuel in the filter hence hard to start or cutting out while driving. Clean the rust off the bent pipe and mix some chemical metal and seal the hole, it will be too thin to weld.

• Like 1