Transit Mk6

eggsarascal

Yesterday I did a 120 mile round journey with a short stop about 3/4hour, on the way home the heater plug warning light started flashing, no loss of power, no smoke, drove just fine. The MK6 doesn't have an engine management light, the heater plug warning light doubles up as the EML. Got the van home with no problems, stopped the van, started it about 15 mins later and no flashing light, mate of mine put a fault code reader on it, no fault(s) found. The obvious would be heater plug(s) has failed, but after searching the Transit forums there seems to be a whole load of things that could bring the warning light on (flashing orange). diesel filter, crankshaft sensor, blah, blah. Anyway, this morning was a cold start, it took longer than normal for it to fire, t'was cranking fine. Any ideas apart from start with the cheapest parts first?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

Just had this last week on an LDV with 2.4 Duratorq- was air getting into the fuel line via the filter housing.

I had no fault codes either, which was bloody annoying and defeats the object of an EML!

Was the filter housing cracked/split?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wicklamulla said:

i tink a lot of MK6 Transits have non functioning glow plugs and seem to cope ok.

I read that last night, but I take most things on the web with a barrow full of salt.

How's ya luck?, get a good few days of work and the fecking van starts playing up.

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

:egg: for the few quid it costs its worth running it into somewhere that has proper ford diagnostics gear, fault code readers are worse than useless on these transits. Or just keep changing bits until it goes :)

Bob

I haven't got a problem paying for a proper diagnostics, b0D, but it seems anywhere that's got the correct kit are shutdown due to this poxy virus.

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Was the filter housing cracked/split?

It leaked diesel out the top when you primed it but still built pressure. A very odd one.

No warning, it just wouldn't start for ten seconds after a quick stop and the drove a few hundred metres, stopped, started eventually then a few more hundred metres, stopped and had to be towed.

Each time it died it flashed the glow plug light which it's never done before, but nothing saved in the code memory.

Edited by doobin