Stove paint

I've used stovax stove paint.  It's flaking off a little bit in a few places.  Not sure if that's the paint's fault or mine.  I know it's very important to clean the stove well and remove all oils, and to not have the paint too thick or it'll crack off.  I took a wire brush in a drill to my old stove and cleaned the light rust and a lot, but by no means all, of the old paint off.  I then cleaned or several times with cellulose thinners before painting the stove with a rattle can, in about 3 coats iirc.  possibly the paint was too thick in some places, or possibly I failed to get it perfectly clean. For what it cost or worked ok, although not perfect so I'd possibly try a different brand next time.

On 05/04/2020 at 00:12, green horn said:

Picked up a cheap 50 quid stove for the mancave/workshop tht could do with a bit of tlc and was wondering if any 1 had ever used any of the various stove paints available. If so whts the best on marketIMG_20200403_223019_464.jpeg20200403_220648.jpeg

PJ1 exhaust paint gives a good finish and lasts?

Stove paint sold under the Calfire or Hotspot brand name is fine,  as is paint sold under premium stove manufactures brand names, Morso, Charnwood, etc.

Clear any rust and crap with fine wire wood,   then two or three aerosol coats sprayed LIGHTLY from a distance of around 150mm and jobs a good un.

Dont use the brush on paints as you tend to apply to thickly,  if its to thick it runs and looks awful.

Stove polish is really for use on open fires by old ladies with to much time on their hands IMHO,  one fire and its back where it was.

A

Edited by Alycidon