Hawthorn from seed

Steven P

and with apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't see anything though)

I have a gap in a hawthorn hedge that might be nice to fill, and taking my prescribed 20 minute of daily exercise today noticed a lot of last years berries still on the hedges further up the road.

So what do you reckon the viability of these would be? If I grabbed some and planted them in pots would they start growing?

Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steven P said:

and with apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't see anything though)

I have a gap in a hawthorn hedge that might be nice to fill, and taking my prescribed 20 minute of daily exercise today noticed a lot of last years berries still on the hedges further up the road.

So what do you reckon the viability of these would be? If I grabbed some and planted them in pots would they start growing?

Thanks

Yeah they will grow from seed just fine,but you can buy 40/60cm plants for about 20p

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Thanks

WWW.GARDENERSWORLD.COM

Find out how to grow your own hawthorn from seeds collected from berries.

Never tried growing them on purpose though can't see why not (have enough pop up all over as weeds)

TREEGROWING.TCV.ORG.UK

Learn how to grow hawthorn from seed. This thorny shrub, common in hedgerows, is easy to grow (if a little slow) if you...

Seem they  take 2yrs to germinate ?

You could hunt around locally in woods and find few self seeded ones, now is a good time to spot them before the rest of the vegetation  grows up & hides everything.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

Thanks - that was what I was hoping, but of course I want them to grom 0 to 6' tall in weeks obviously.

Seriously though the hedge has had holes in for years and 3 or 4 years won't make a huge difference, I was thinkng get some seeds, jab the fork in the ground and drop one in each hole that the progs make, and then move on.

Didn;t want to do anything as hard as digging holes in the ground ... (also at the moment there is a cover of long grass weeds which is trickier to dig through).

My wife got involved volunteering at a community tree nursery a few years ago, they planted hawthorn. Apparently you have to bash the seeds to simulate being eaten and then plant in soil.

I planted some whips this week to infill gaps in a hedge. Several of the suppliers are saying they're overwhelmed and two weeks behind but the Hedge Nursery despatched a pack of 25 overnight.

9 hours ago, tree77 said:

Think need  a long period of cold temperature to germinate, some of the old FC publications had the suggested stratification periods listed. Its needed to break the seeds dormancy.

They do need to be dormant for a while,holly is the same,my brother works for a tree growing nursery and they used to do it but as you say were kept in cold storage for quite a while first