Which generator to run a sawmill - NEW or USED ?

arboriculturist

There is no 3 phase here and the 11Kva single phase transformer on the  wooden pole is approx 150 m away.

So probably I should be looking at a diesel generator, capable of running an 800 - 1200mm mill and edger and other bits and pieces.

I have been offered an 'old school' generator rated at 27.5 kw with a Gardiner 5.5 ish Litre engine and Maudsley alternator.

There is a wierd device the size of a shoebox attached with a winder knob on the front and 2 x 2" diameter x 12" long tandem vertical coils of wire coiled tubes in the back that a T bar moves up and down when you twist the knob at the front.

Anyone know what the shoebox is, what Kva it will actually produce all day long under constant load and what it is worth ?

Is it worth buying ???

The whole setup is mounted on some hefty RSJ's, came from a sawmill 30 years ago and it starts on the button and runs sweetly.

Deciding what Kva to buy is not straightforward, as I know diesel generators cannot supply the rated Kva continually all day / 8 hrs.

NEW diesel generators are relatively inexpensive and very fuel efficient, so perhaps worthy of consideration ?

Edited by arboriculturist

5.5 liter engine running all day long? Wonder what that drinks? 

You never mentioned the cost of this beast but couple that with the extra fuel it will require over a smaller modern diesel I wonder how quickly a modern transformer would pay for itself just in fuel saved? 

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

There is no 3 phase here and the 11Kva single phase transformer on the  wooden pole is approx 150 m away.

How many wires run to the transformer? I think you mean 11kV.

The nearest mill to me had a 54" Stenner and a 48" resaw and that ran off the engine from a Uboat.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The nearest mill to me had a 54" Stenner and a 48" resaw and that ran off the engine from a Uboat.

Sorry, of course it is. 11,000 v. Just 2 - single phase unfortunately.

I have not seen an U boat engines advertised locally recently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

5.5 liter engine running all day long? Wonder what that drinks? 

That will probably be just as economical as modern stuff, it's a ploder and built to last for ever.
Proper british engineering.

Edited by scraggs
  • Like 3

Just now, scraggs said:

That will probably be just as economical as modern stuff, it's a ploder and built to last for ever.
Proper british engineering.

Still, would be good to get some actual figures. 

Whilst I agree it will be much better built I wonder what Kw is actually required as 27 could well be in excess where as a smaller unit might be better suited, but would of course have a significantly smaller engine too.

Just curious and would be good to see.

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now that would run one hell of a sawmill, 3000HP!  I bet it is great engineering.  I want one.

Get a big wire.
150m is not a big distance.
If you can do some of the installation work it would bring the price down a lot.
Is it on your land?
Single phase will run most bandsaws.
11kw is a lot of power.
And if you've got mains, then it'll work out soooo much cheaper than diesel for running costs.
[emoji106]