Started temp job to make ends meet for a while?

Squaredy

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

...do you have to wear a tin hat n say "yes Mr Manwaring" cos that would make my day.  K

I think the interview consist of how you say Don’t Panic and you need to know the words to the song Hitler Is A Twerp.

I will most probably be doing some work on a few farms locally , not really for the money just to ease the boredom !!  There is not the amount of driving work that some seem to think there is , I have an HGV license and work part time doing pallet deliveries but this has all but come to a halt now .........I am also a woodturner and make things that sell in local galleries and craft / art shows but all trading has ceased and am not sure what demand there may be for such items once restrictions are lifted , so lack motivation to make stock at the moment .  

8 hours ago, scbk said:

Amazon doing their own deliveries is a new thing round here, and all their drivers* I have met so far are eastern europeen and struggle finding their way about?

Obviously amazon are hoping to make more money doing it this way, but you wonder what was wrong with giving the work to royal mail and the posties.

*I imagine they're self employed?

There were adverts in my area for Amazon delivery drivers and yes self employed and using own van.  The pay was £143 per day plus 17p per mile for fuel.  If you already have a van that seems not bad at all.

I guess a lot depends on how well the route is planned cause if all your drops are pretty close should be easy enough.

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

Hmmm any jobs which don't pay minimum wage?

Now you're just being picky!

Funeral directors don't seem shy with their pricing, and that'll be a growth industry at the minute?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Minimum wage is now over £1200 per month full time.  Not to be sniffed at as a stop gap.  But yes I am sure there are plenty of jobs paying more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, s o c said:

If lockdown goes beyond a month, (and I expect it will) might do a bit of chainsaw work for harvesting guys I’m friends with.

hard going and not great money but I enjoy a few days of it every now and again for some reason (sad, I know)

Massochist!

Last job I did before winding down was a small ash plantation riddled with dieback,  covered in ivy and waist high in briers... had i known you were interested, you could have had it!! 

But I'll agree theres a satisfaction in forestry that's lacking in other jobs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Noticed you posted a photo yesterday of the yard and looked well stocked with firewood. Small looking stuff from the photo and not sure how much you have but just an idea. Couple of guys one here always posting for chip picked for the power stations, Not worth doing ??

calling all arborists in the west midlands area and beyond

Drax power station is a large biomass and coal-fired power station in North Yorkshire, England, capable of

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

Hi nothing wrong with fruit picking ,I used to travel from one park up to another picking different things ,daffodils were the worst we used to call it daf rash something in the sap just made your fingers split like F##k , I am lucky at the mo just got a big table commission and Me and the girlfriend are just as isolated in our workshop on our own as at home on our own and the small Est I look after I am on my own ,but if needs must I would defo go picking fruit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, s o c said:

If lockdown goes beyond a month, (and I expect it will) might do a bit of chainsaw work for harvesting guys I’m friends with.

hard going and not great money but I enjoy a few days of it every now and again for some reason (sad, I know)

If this lasts a month I'd be surprised if harvesters still running, unless cutting purely biomass..

Most up my way have parked up already,

And a few forestry companies have banned chainsaws full stop in there woods, reason is to save NHS if an accident by time u have air ambo or mountain rescue to get u out plus the bed at far end.

U may be lucky but a lot of cutters are sitting at home the now and only get worse if mills not selling timber, building trade/timber yards all shut down up here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1