Morso Squirrel

Good Afternoon 

I am new here.

I am looking to purchase a second Morso Squirrel and was wondering if anyone has any experience of Squirrel's supplied by morso_heaven on eBay? Seems to have great feedback. Any opinions would be appreciated. 

Acuta

Hi and welcome to the site.

I am a Morso UK Center of Excellence so probably better qualified to answer than most.

Squirrel is a good little stove,  suited to a 4m square room given average insulation in theh property and small/average glass area,  if was designed and launched over 50 years ago,  at the time it was cutting edge but things have moved on since then.

There are several models of Squirrel,  1410 is the most popular,  fitted on boats a lot,  not approved to burn wood within a smoke control area,   2 doors,  2 rotary air controls, one on each door.

1412,   this is an internally updated model and is approved to burn wood within a smoke control area,  1 door,  2 rotary air controls,  at top and bottom of door.

1430,   the most popular in domestic houses,   better air control than 1410 and 1412, larger glass than 1410,  2 doors,  one rotary air control on bottom door,  slide below ash lip for secondary air control.    Not approved too burn wood within a smoke control area.

There are others but these are the usual ones,

So if you are out in the sticks any one should do, smoke control areas are usually in medium/large towns and cities.

Squirrel is a cast iron stove and does not take kindly to water running down the inside of the flue pipe,   usually as a result of slumbering the stove or rainwater getting down the flue.  Water sets up rust which can literally destroy the stove.   First signs are the rear flue exit plate falling off,  the fixing screws having rusted through.    While all parts are still available they are not really cost effective to fully rebuild if the top has been forced away from the rear or sides.   

Frankly I would avoid a used Squirrel,  I have advised several clients to change them when they are looking close to failure.   Save a few more pennies and buy a new Morso Swift.   This internally is a 1410 squirrel but with a single door.    It is not approved for burning wood within a Smoke control area.     So to all intents and purposes it is a Squirrel but not advertised as such and is not on the Morsoe UK web site at all as its quite a bit cheaper than 1410.

https://morsoe.com/media/com_hikashop/upload/safe/72107000_-_1000_the_swift_eng.pdf

1410 and Swift are likely to be discontinued by the end of 2021 as they do not meet the 2022 efficiency and emissions requirements,   1430 has already been discontinued.      You will though still be able to use your stove for a s long as it lasts,  you just wont be able to buy a new one from Jan 22 that does not meet EcoDesign specs.

I would advise you to use your local Morso dealer for the purchase and not buy it on line,  you have a problem and they are close by.

PM me if needed,

A

Edited by Alycidon

I had a morso squirrel on a boat, it certainly kept my 56' narrowboat warm/hot, except in the dead of winter on the cut, I used to fire up a webasto diesel heater on really cold nights to help the morso. That said, I don't like being cold when I'm indoors.

Good Afternoon 
I am new here.
I am looking to purchase a second Morso Squirrel and was wondering if anyone has any experience of Squirrel's supplied by morso_heaven on eBay? Seems to have great feedback. Any opinions would be appreciated. 
Acuta

I think your kinda answering your own thoughts here, you already have a squirrel stove, you want a second one (cos your obviously happy with your 1st one) so regardless of buying off ebay or anywhere else, as long as your happy with the price and the terms offered by the seller, ie the guarantees etc, then your good to go from anywhere really
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome to the site.

I am a Morso UK Center of Excellence so probably better qualified to answer than most.

Squirrel is a good little stove,  suited to a 4m square room given average insulation in theh property and small/average glass area,  if was designed and launched over 50 years ago,  at the time it was cutting edge but things have moved on since then.

There are several models of Squirrel,  1410 is the most popular,  fitted on boats a lot,  not approved to burn wood within a smoke control area,   2 doors,  2 rotary air controls, one on each door.

1412,   this is an internally updated model and is approved to burn wood within a smoke control area,  1 door,  2 rotary air controls,  at top and bottom of door.

1430,   the most popular in domestic houses,   better air control than 1410 and 1412, larger glass than 1410,  2 doors,  one rotary air control on bottom door,  slide below ash lip for secondary air control.    Not approved too burn wood within a smoke control area.

There are others but these are the usual ones,

So if you are out in the sticks any one should do, smoke control areas are usually in medium/large towns and cities.

Squirrel is a cast iron stove and does not take kindly to water running down the inside of the flue pipe,   usually as a result of slumbering the stove or rainwater getting down the flue.  Water sets up rust which can literally destroy the stove.   First signs are the rear flue exit plate falling off,  the fixing screws having rusted through.    While all parts are still available they are not really cost effective to fully rebuild if the top has been forced away from the rear or sides.   

Frankly I would avoid a used Squirrel,  I have advised several clients to change them when they are looking close to failure.   Save a few more pennies and buy a new Morso Swift.   This internally is a 1410 squirrel but with a single door.    It is not approved for burning wood within a Smoke control area.     So to all intents and purposes it is a Squirrel but not advertised as such and is not on the Morsoe UK web site at all as its quite a bit cheaper than 1410.

https://morsoe.com/media/com_hikashop/upload/safe/72107000_-_1000_the_swift_eng.pdf

1410 and Swift are likely to be discontinued by the end of 2021 as they do not meet the 2022 efficiency and emissions requirements,   1430 has already been discontinued.      You will though still be able to use your stove for a s long as it lasts,  you just wont be able to buy a new one from Jan 22 that does not meet EcoDesign specs.

I would advise you to use your local Morso dealer for the purchase and not buy it on line,  you have a problem and they are close by.

PM me if needed,

A

Just out of interest whats the price tag on the swift?

Prices from dealers are usually in line with the web but most of the big web suppliers are not Morso UK dealers and are buying grey imports,  these have not come via morso uk thus only have a one year warranty.   Am on a firewood processor at present but would estimate 650 ish.  Go onto the morso uk web site to locate your nearest dealer,  if probs PM me with your post code and I will sort it for you.  A