Sthil 025 guide bar length

Paul Tomo

Hi fellow arborist,

last year I brought a second hand Sthil 025 in good working condition. When I had a spare hour I stripped the saw down and cleaned the saw and replaced the spark plug, I also replaced the very worn guide bar and chain to a new 18 inch bar and chain. 

I’ve been using the saw this last couple of days for logging some Ash and Oak. When revving up the saw I can tell there’s plenty of power but once I start to cut the timber the saw losers power but still cuts. I’m using a full chisel chain on a 18inch bar and I’m thinking this is to much for the saw. I’ve not got the old guide bar and chain so I can’t try that one, would I be right in saying a 15 inch guide bar and chain would be ideal for this saw.

many thanks...Paul Tomo 

Stihl lists a bar for the 023/025 up to 18”...... but as htb says, you’d probably be better suited with a smaller bar than you’ve got at present, 14” would be my choice, running 3/8” picco .050” gauge.

5 hours ago, spudulike said:

14" sounds good to me, 18" is pretty optimistic in my opinion.

A very basic rule of thumb is 1/3 of the engine cc gives you the maximum bar length so your 45cc gives 15" bar length

I was never any good at maths as a nipper  but this sum I always seem to remember ! ?

This is the update on the guide bar and chain. I’ve had a good rumage through the workshop and found the old bar and chain, the old bar is 16” and still in good nick. The chain still has plenty of wear but when fitted to the bar and set up on the saw gives lots of play from side to side, when I stripped it down last year I had a feeling the guide bar and chain was a mismatch.