Moving to roadside, collecting and transporting 'Big Butts'

arboriculturist

As the title reads, I am looking for other peoples personal view on the most efficient, cost effective methods of moving 'Big Butts' from point of felling, to roadside then back to base camp.

We have lost a lot of sweat, winching 3 tonnes butts with the Tirfor on skids like the Vikings to get roadside. Low geared Portable winch can be good. Valtra with Forest winch where access good is rarely bettered. In the past lifted onto trailers with 2 tractors and loaders, Telehandlers, Ex 360's, wheel diggers etc. crane lorries. Lots are too heavy for the equipment and that is when it all starts to cost more than the timber will ever be worth. 

Best option usually flat bed with monster Hiab where access allows.

I am interested how others go about this?

Edited by arboriculturist
  • Like 1

Sorry, I should have mentioned that one, as it is the obvious solution - but thanks.

However the days of endless hours of dust and toil are in the past now for us. Everything has to be mechanised, so it looks like the cost of tractor and winch just has to be factored into the cost of getting the timber from A to B.

There is not much a good operative cannot shift with a Valtra and winch, using offsets etc. to get big butts to roadside, and ground disturbance can be minimised if you have a banksperson moving skids etc. along with the timber.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintsman54 said:

what about a log arch timber trailer? This guy has documented building one - 

WWW.MATTCREMONA.COM

He his an very interesting site but one butt I have in mind is 8.8 tonnes, I can't see it being quite suitable for an arch. 5ft dia. Thanks for the link though ?

• Like 1

Your best production with a sawmill is with 40-80cm diameter logs. I'd steer clear of the biggest stuff and I'd just buy by the lorry load rather than single logs. It works out more economically in the end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big J said:

Your best production with a sawmill is with 40-80cm diameter logs. I'd steer clear of the biggest stuff and I'd just buy by the lorry load rather than single logs. It works out more economically in the end.

Yes totally, if you've spent out on a 800 mill it needs to be productively employed and as you say consistent material is key.

My post was really aimed at the Butts I get offered that knowone wants or is able to shift. I should have made that clear.

Many many m. stems locally get ringed up for firewood, some with quality burrs etc. and I can be offered them for free just to clear the job.   It will be a fair few years before all those whips we planted today get to a milling size !

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 17:49, arboriculturist said:

Yes totally, if you've spent out on a 800 mill it needs to be productively employed and as you say consistent material is key.

My post was really aimed at the Butts I get offered that knowone wants or is able to shift. I should have made that clear.

Many many m. stems locally get ringed up for firewood, some with quality burrs etc. and I can be offered them for free just to clear the job.   It will be a fair few years before all those whips we planted today get to a milling size !

Where abouts are you please?

Why not sell the or give them away let someone else mill them and cart them out etc less hassle for you then.

Hi I used to have an AEC Militant a 1956 ex army lorry with a belly winch ,it was rated 100 tonnes towing on the flat with a good set of ramps most butts could be winched up onto the bed ,bloody wish I still had it ,they did some with timber winches ,Matadors as well ,old slow but up to the job and cool as F##c ,something to think about 

• Like 1