Land Army

Puffingbilly413

On 01/04/2020 at 15:42, Puffingbilly413 said:

Saw this on FB earlier.  

WWW.THELANDARMY.ORG.UK

Our goal is simple; stop harvests rotting in our fields. To do this we're pulling...

Could be of use to folk. 

beats me why uk fruit farmers depend on eastern block countries to pick fruit tattise,turnips thats neeps for you cheuchters on here, etc,when we were younger,thats what you did, tattie week is in october,thats why the schools are off then,so yer mamy could drag you on to an old x army truck to help pick potatoes,was a fair boost to the threepeny, proper money,you got on a saturday mornin to buy yer comic, the beano. perhaps mr stubby has some stories of they days,used to be a fair amount o lassies at the pickn to.

8 minutes ago, struie said:

beats me why uk fruit farmers depend on eastern block countries to pick fruit tattise,turnips thats neeps for you cheuchters on here, etc,when we were younger,thats what you did, tattie week is in october,thats why the schools are off then,so yer mamy could drag you on to an old x army truck to help pick potatoes,was a fair boost to the threepeny, proper money,you got on a saturday mornin to buy yer comic, the beano. perhaps mr stubby has some stories of they days,used to be a fair amount o lassies at the pickn to.

Why?, because the Supermarkets have screwed farmers into the ground, so they can't make it pay with British labour, and we have nearly full employment.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 01/04/2020 at 15:42, Puffingbilly413 said:

Saw this on FB earlier.  

WWW.THELANDARMY.ORG.UK

Our goal is simple; stop harvests rotting in our fields. To do this we're pulling...

Could be of use to folk. 

It’s not all that it seems...I for one will be going down that root if the shit hits the fan and I can’t keep my work going...but the pinch is if me or anybody else does decide that they want to pick fruit,vegetables etc the farmers are insisting that if you start you must see out the season and not piss off after a few weeks so think long term not short term if you want to take this root to earn some money up to the point we’re this thing bottoms out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Why?, because the Supermarkets have screwed farmers into the ground, so they can't make it pay with British labour, and we have nearly full employment.

Probably a little bit unfair to put the blame solely on the supermarkets, it's also the consumer who expects everything cheaper and the woe is me farmer who want's bigger profits that are to blame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, struie said:

It was a tractor pulling a canvas covered trailer with what we called " the Big Wheel " on the back that rotated at 90 degrees to the direction of travel with tines that hooked the spuds up . We would sort em ,bag em and twist up the metal wire ties with the tool ( I still have one somewhere coz it was good for putting partridge cages together when I was a keeper later in life ) .

• Like 2

On 02/04/2020 at 17:01, struie said:

Mr Stubby was probably in the Peninsular wars as a lad, following behind the Liptons wagon in Wellingtons footsteps  ?  K

• Haha 2