Government Help For Self Employed Workers

Darrin Turnbull

13 hours ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

What payback.?

To cover the multiple billions now being handed out by various governments worldwide to keep global economies afloat. Highly unlikely that this will be written off as an altruistic deed by those who have fronted this cash. Far more likely we will be asked (made) to pay it all back with interest over a long time, thus causing a mammoth recession allowing further land and property grabs by various institutions and rights erosion of the working classes on a global scale.

Just my two cents. Would love to be proven wrong.

Maybe this will instead lead to a situation where we end up with universal basic income, a more stable and caring society, not for profit healthcare systems with some real spare capacity, global business which prioritises employee wellbeing over outright profit and a financial and political class which puts the benefit of every citizen ahead of the short term goal of fast money and outright lies in their bids to be elected.

I am however a realist and can't see this happening. 

The other fact is that we can't just let the pandemic run its course unmitigated. None of us want to see our parents or vulnerable friends/family come down with this. No easy choices to be made right now. No such thing as free money either.

• Like 2

They are paying out certain grants, and have set up some loan systems for businesses. It's in the news at the moment though that the loans are hard to get hold of.

My small business should also get a grant through the district council but they are not running at their usual high level of efficiency at the moment so still waiting to hear anything.

In the UK it's quick to announce but slow to deliver as usual.

18 minutes ago, Darrin Turnbull said:

Thanks for answering.

My question (to short of cause) was directed at your claim if it’s credit or not.

Ah, no. It's not credit. It's basically an unemployment claim. I'm not regarded as an essential worker so therefore not permitted to work. I probably could sneak around doing odd jobs if I wanted to but I think its poor form given the current situation. Take the money and sit it out. 

I'm sure that those who do chance working through will voluntarily give up their place in hospital if they do catch the virus, in favour of someone who caught it in spite of taking all reasonable precautions.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Please post a link to this official directive?

WWW.GOV.IE

List of essential service providers under new public health guidelines.

Not that it applies to you as you're in a different country, but theres your link. You could argue the language says should rather than must. But I reckon if we all play our part we may lessen the humanitarian impact of this pandemic.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:
WWW.GOV.IE

List of essential service providers under new public health guidelines.

Not that it applies to you as you're in a different country, but theres your link. You could argue the language says should rather than must. But I reckon if we all play our part we may lessen the humanitarian impact of this pandemic.

I've no idea how long this is going to go on, let's say it's months. Can you afford to sit at home for months?

• Like 2

Here's a thing..........

When I was PAYE, like many, I looked forward to Easter and....well....all bank holidays. Since being self employed.....they really don't mean that much apart from their significance as religious festivals and they become just a normal working day.

It is a funny old thing - this Easter, all those PAYE workers will get a taster of one aspect of self employment....the Easter Bank Holiday will pretty much mean nothing, no nice long weekend and a short working week before and after the bank holidays!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I've no idea how long this is going to go on, let's say it's months. Can you afford to sit at home for months?

Thankfully yes. I own a few acres, have no mortgage and no finance, dont have much banked but can live cheap. The result of working like a slave earlier in life. But its paying off now.

A few months at home is no big deal, as long as herself and I can remain civil!

Not everyone is so fortunate though. Theres people who live week to week. They will feel it much more.

• Like 2