Talking about my generation

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:
WWW.GEARGB.CO.UK

Meccalte S20FS-160 10 KVA Single Phase Alternator |Honda Engines and Generators | Gear GB

That looks promising.

I wonder why I was quoted £2000 plus fitting for a replacement by the engineer? I must look like a sucker.

12 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

I have been offered an 'old school' generator rated at 27.5 kw with a Gardiner 5.5 ish Litre engine and Maudsley alternator.

There is a wierd device the size of a shoebox attached with a winder knob on the front and 2 x 2" diameter x 12" long tandem vertical coils of wire coiled tubes in the back that a T bar moves up and down when you twist the knob at the front.

Anyone know what the shoebox is, what Kva it will actually produce all day long under constant load and what it is worth ?

Finally is it worth buying ???

The whole setup is mounted on some hefty RSJ's, came from a sawmill 30 years ago and it starts on the button and runs sweetly.

Personally it’s a dinasaur will drink fuel cant-get the bits and I would not have a clue where to start if it broke and I am 52 years old . Buy something 2001 onwards that’s not over worked and knackered when it breaks you will be able to get it fixed 

Edited by gensetsteve

6 minutes ago, gensetsteve said:

10 bolts a few wires and a mornings work £250-£500 labour £500 for the alternator don’t overload both motors at the same time back in business choppy choppy ? pramacs aren’t a bad set ??

That's great, thanks Steve.

Just need to find a trustworthy local engineer.

In your estimation would a 'standard' electrician be able to do it?

2 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

2 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Not a standard electrician they would probably poop themselves it’s not a light switch. Maybe a plant engineer to bolt it on and a genny engineer to wire it . Or eggs bloke sounds good to do the whole job and he is just up the road . 

Eggs it’s time we all went out on the piss again I got divorced and it cost me 400 k ?