Talking about my generation

Just wondered if any of you are familiar with the electrical side of generator sets?

I have a 10KVA diesel powered generator which has suddenly started only putting out 100volts rather than the required 230/240volts.

The yanmar engine seems fine so I seem to have an electrical issue.

I've tried changing the capacitors which had no result. My generator doesn't have an automatic voltage regulator.

The drop occurred when starting a second 2.2kw motor whilst it was running the first one fine. It now won't run either motor.

Apparently a new alternator is £2000 plus so I was hoping there might be something else I can try before writing it off.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

TVI. 

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

When he fixes it let us know what went wrong. It sounds like one of the field coils isn't getting excited.

I think I'll be lucky to find someone who is keen to look inside the alternator. Advice I have received so far from more than one source is get a new generator.

This would be a shame as it has only done 2000 hours.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Just wondered if any of you are familiar with the electrical side of generator sets?

I have a 10KVA diesel powered generator which has suddenly started only putting out 100volts rather than the required 230/240volts.

The yanmar engine seems fine so I seem to have an electrical issue.

I've tried changing the capacitors which had no result. My generator doesn't have an automatic voltage regulator.

The drop occurred when starting a second 2.2kw motor whilst it was running the first one fine. It now won't run either motor.

Apparently a new alternator is £2000 plus so I was hoping there might be something else I can try before writing it off.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

TVI. 

Things like this i love where 30 year of knowledge come in. Have you run a 110v tool off it ??

4 hours ago, the village idiot said:

I think I'll be lucky to find someone who is keen to look inside the alternator. Advice I have received so far from more than one source is get a new generator.

This would be a shame as it has only done 2000 hours.

It may be cheaper to get a new one but the engine will still be good. The difficulty in reusing these  things is the alternator is built onto the motor and only has a bearing at the outer end making alternatives difficult to fit.

16 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

It may be cheaper to get a new one but the engine will still be good. The difficulty in reusing these  things is the alternator is built onto the motor and only has a bearing at the outer end making alternatives difficult to fit.

There is a far easier way if she is kicking out a good 110 v supply believe me and cheap. Bought a tow along compressor/ generator a few years back and used a step up transformer like in the link below, genny was only a 110 v ex gas board 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

Defender 3.3kVA Step-Up Transformer 2x16A 240v E203030

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Power Output (Watts/Kw) 3000 W. W x D x H: 205 x 240 x 265mm. Weight 17kg. Supplied with plug. This does not effect your statutory rights. Collections from our trade counters is possible...

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1