Diversifying into milling to utilise oversize timber.

arboriculturist

31 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Just finishing lacquering a table top then crack a beer open and have a look/read up on this contraption you knocked up BIG J 

44 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Jesus Christ, it may be basic ( I'm still smilling) but if it works and people buy the timber - what else matters !!! No point in building a shoebox, if you are going to dry timber may as well dry a lorry load, That's the drying sorted. I have about 30 240 watt I think, solar panels doing nothing, which could be put to good use. ?

I think we must have run about 20 kiln loads through it over the years, so about £120k worth of wood (at least) for a £1200 set up cost and about £10k in running costs.

I have a train on tracks surplus to requirements that would be great running into say a shipping container.

The train is 6 metres long and the tacks about 13 m. It will take about 6 tonnes over 6 metre train.

The track is about 12"  off ground level, so dead easy to load / unload with forklift.

Link up with an array of my solar panels and it's almost there.

How does that sound ?

4 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I have a train on tracks surplus to requirements that would be great running into say a shipping container.

The train is 6 metres long and the tacks about 13 m. It will take about 6 tonnes over 6 metre train.

The track is about 12"  off ground level, so dead easy to load / unload with forklift.

How does that sound ?

Pretty good, but you need consistent power and heat to the container so can't just be when there is power generated by the panels.

I could pop by tomorrow to run you through what to do if you want? I've got not much else to do at the moment!

5 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

How does that sound ?

Calm down calm down. At this rate you will having sleepless nights 

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

Pretty good, but you need consistent power and heat to the container so can't just be when there is power generated by the panels.

I could pop by tomorrow to run you through what to do if you want? I've got not much else to do at the moment!

That's a rare offer and even rarer, you with not much else on !!!  However, yet again work takes over here.

5 us on the ground trying to complete a tree planting project so we have to hit the ground running early. It's going to be a long day and drought conditions not ideal for this planting. We'll catch up in time for sure. I should be sleeping now of course but I doubt I could.

My thoughts were to use ground mount solar to heat an insulated accumulator tank that feeds thermostatically controlled rads in the drying container, therefore maintaining constant temp. avoiding peaks and troughs.

I appreciate all the feedback from this thread - quality.

• Like 1