Diversifying into milling to utilise oversize timber.

arboriculturist

3 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I that suppose Anton has been at it so long, that he has built up a massive database of customers over the decades. Not sure how he gets that mountain of varied timber species, specifications to an air dried level that satisfies the end user.

Back in the day of course, air dried was it, but then houses were not clinical, sterile baked dry boxes that a lot seem to be in this age.

Kiln drying to me is a black art to me. I think that unless you are prepared to shell out and buy a commercial computerised, automated drying schedule standalone drying unit, there is a huge amount that can go wrong. 

Kiln drying hardwoods is a doddle. Can be done inexpensively and is very cheap to set up. Happy to talk you through it if you drop me a line :D

2 hours ago, donnk said:

router + template done in 10 mins.

Read the post tidy. Hand carved signs are not 10 minute jobs. If its taking you 10 minutes to router a few letters you could never work for me, To slow as i am the Usain Bolt at it. Difference i can do them without all the fancy tools because i was taught right ?

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Big J said:

Kiln drying hardwoods is a doddle. Can be done inexpensively and is very cheap to set up. Happy to talk you through it if you drop me a line :D

Ah thanks. I will take a raincheque on that for a minute, but interesting. All I have researched seems to talk about humidifiers, complex schedules etc. etc. Well I suppose other's now better, so why over complicate things and perhaps drying can be done effectively simply if allow addition time. ?

11 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Ah thanks. I will take a raincheque on that for a minute, but interesting. All I have researched seems to talk about humidifiers, complex schedules etc. etc. Well I suppose other's now better, so why over complicate things and perhaps drying can be done effectively simply if allow addition time. ?

I think the best thing you can do is take a run up to south wales if your wanting to pop and see the woodlands in action. I will take to to my mates in brecon who has the woodmizer LT 40 and a working kiln and so does chris over at pontypool. The massive trakmet is only 45 minutes away and Pawel (polish) Lad who runs it will be happy to let you have a try and martin with the Woodmizer will. Good lads they are 

Edited by topchippyles

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

I think the best thing you can do is take a run up to south wales if your wanting to pop and see the woodlands in action. I will take to to my mates in brecon who has the woodmizer LT 40 and a working kiln and so does chris over at pontypool. The massive trakmet is only 45 minutes away and Pawel (polish) Lad who runs it will be happy to let you have a try and martin with the Woodmizer will. Good lads they are 

How very generous ! I'll give it some thought if we all survive and things return to normality. ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I did a DIY kiln build thread on Arbtalk many years ago:

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Jesus Christ, it may be basic ( I'm still smilling) but if it works and people buy the timber - what else matters !!! No point in building a shoebox, if you are going to dry timber may as well dry a lorry load, That's the drying sorted. I have about 30 240 watt I think, solar panels doing nothing, which could be put to good use. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big J said:

Just finishing lacquering a table top then crack a beer open and have a look/read up on this contraption you knocked up BIG J 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1