Big Saw Small Money

Khriss

Absolutely nothing wrong with full rap handles befor knocking them try using one in a work setting oh yea I forget plenty on here dont actually use saws for work just talk about them [emoji849]

Soz Don.... i’ll get my coat! [emoji17]

If you look on ope forum there is a sub forum dedicated to huztl builds and they are generally well thought of.  I understand a few parts are pants and the consensus now is to swap for OEM Stihl, chain tensioner, little end bearing and pin I think, maybe something else too but that's about it. Although the p+c seems ok lots of builders swap to something like the cross as it's already  ported (it's a copy of a ported Stihl jug and is decent quality).  I agree it's very wrong that China flout copyright and patent law, and safety testing etc.  However don't assume all the farmertec kit is rubbish add some seems ok and I suspect it will only get better.

3 hours ago, neiln said:

If you look on ope forum there is a sub forum dedicated to huztl builds and they are generally well thought of.  I understand a few parts are pants and the consensus now is to swap for OEM Stihl, chain tensioner, little end bearing and pin I think, maybe something else too but that's about it. Although the p+c seems ok lots of builders swap to something like the cross as it's already  ported (it's a copy of a ported Stihl jug and is decent quality).  I agree it's very wrong that China flout copyright and patent law, and safety testing etc.  However don't assume all the farmertec kit is rubbish add some seems ok and I suspect it will only get better.

Factor in cost of sourcing,swapping parts and time required to fit and I'd argue that you're up to the price of a genuine stihl/husqvarna/echo equivalent.

Grand if it's a hobby or a chance to learn how things work (or dont!) But for a full time professional I dont see any advantage. Buy the right thing first time around imo. 

plus theres the more important safety factor, should the worst happen and there is an accident with an inferior quality machine firstly the accident may be worse than if properly designed components were in use ie. inertia brake. Then theres the potential insurance risk arising from the use of machinery unfit for purpose. 

I agree that just because it's made in china doesnt mean its poorly made, but if it's made to be cheap, it probably is.

At the end, theres only a days wages in the difference. I wont be the one to chance it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tree-fancier123 said:

my blue 660 didn't oil out of the box, regret buying it really, chain tensioner and carb control lever also rubbish, import duty adds to the initial cost. I'm sure it can be made into a reliable big saw if you swap nearly everything for genuine Stihl

.... you gotta put oil in it mate, straight out a the box ? k

Ah yes, I think the oiler is one of the bits that is better swapped to oem.

I looked into doing it, getting the kit supplied from a US dealer with the p+c swapped to the cross ones.  Iirc I was looking at £300-£350 once I'd swapped the tensioner, oiler and little end bearing, plus import tax.  As you say, it's worth while of you want to learn about a saw or for occasional personal use.  For a professional, just get the genuine item.

1 hour ago, neiln said:

Ah yes, I think the oiler is one of the bits that is better swapped to oem.

I looked into doing it, getting the kit supplied from a US dealer with the p+c swapped to the cross ones.  Iirc I was looking at £300-£350 once I'd swapped the tensioner, oiler and little end bearing, plus import tax.  As you say, it's worth while of you want to learn about a saw or for occasional personal use.  For a professional, just get the genuine item.

Ok . Will do ?

I had one of those Velly Velly good 372XPs Hrvatsqvna or whatever they are on the bench some time ago.

It looked like a 372 but you knew something wasn't quite right, bit like picking up any knock of item TBH.

I found the recoil spring was very thick so it didn't feel right, all the lines were made out of some cheap rubber not decent nitrile so they didn't fit quite right. The biggest issue was stress fractures in the alloy around the main bearings which put me off the whole experience in a big way.

I would be interested to see how those MS660s work being used on a 36" regularly. One of my customers was a bit tight, I got through two AM cranks, one sheared in two, the other big end grenaded so eventually fitted an OEM one then some fecker pinched it.

My take is they are a project, a rarely used backup saw or weekend warriors saw, made with substandard bits that won't last like the OEM parts. Some parts work and some are utter shyte....try the AM AV rubbers on an MS200T....they are one part that is shyte...cheap....but shyte.

• Like 4