Alpine tractor fencing

thisishinterland

I was wondering if anyone runs a pto post basher on the back of their alpine tractor? I have been asked by a number of customers if I can install/ replace stock fencing at their properties once the ground dries up a bit and am inclined to take on the work if I can match an implement to my existing tractor. 

most of the runs are fairly short (+- 200m) and a little fiddly so not well suited to a full size contractor set up. 

what are people’s experience with the smaller post bashers? Can they stomach strainers and even gate posts? 

Any recommendations or advice welcome.

The Protech P30 contractor model would be a good machine (depending on size of your alpine) it is fairly basic and close coupled, but has sideshift and back shift which if you work on your own makes it easy to get everything lined up nicely. Think it comes with a 180kg weight as standard and whole machine weighs around 550kg which I’d have thought would be ok on a reasonably sized alpine. 180kg in my opinion is a nice minimum size weight if you want to thump in strainers and the odd gate post into reasonable ground, any less and you want the ground to be ‘favourable’!

13 hours ago, green heart said:

Yep, I have an old Parmiter on a 35hp Ferarri, though it wouldn't be any use on gate-posts or very dry ground, I can't imagine. Also it's much slower than a modern contractors driver with a 300kg head, obviously .  

Add some weight to the head

14 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

The Protech P30 contractor model would be a good machine (depending on size of your alpine) it is fairly basic and close coupled, but has sideshift and back shift which if you work on your own makes it easy to get everything lined up nicely. Think it comes with a 180kg weight as standard and whole machine weighs around 550kg which I’d have thought would be ok on a reasonably sized alpine. 180kg in my opinion is a nice minimum size weight if you want to thump in strainers and the odd gate post into reasonable ground, any less and you want the ground to be ‘favourable’!

What he said. I run a p30 on  a kubota stv32, perfect machine for the tractor. Wont do a gate post unless you pre drill, at least not round here it wont!

Edited by dig-dug-dan
Spelling correction

35 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What he said. I run a p30 on  a kubota stv32, perfect machine for the tractor. Wont do a gate post unless you pre drill, at least not round here it wont!

Is that with the 180kg weight? I think they start doing that model with 120kg. But surprising the difference another 60kg makes. It’s not all about weight, drop height is important too.i think the p30 contractor model also has a telescopic mast to increase drop height on strainers etc

23 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Is that with the 180kg weight? I think they start doing that model with 120kg. But surprising the difference another 60kg makes. It’s not all about weight, drop height is important too.i think the p30 contractor model also has a telescopic mast to increase drop height on strainers etc

I think 120. Yes it's got the telescopic mast will bang in 10ft posts.

It weighs in at around 400kg alltogethdr

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

The P30 is the top of my wish list but it doesn’t come cheap. the tractor is 1.5ton and the dealer is suggesting the 210kg weight. If the knocker is grounded is it quite stable, does much energy rattle through the tractor?