Christmas tree danger?

Beyond the Pines

Question

I moved into a house nearly two years ago and was very taken with a large pine tree in the back garden. Everyone seems to love this great looking tree!

Problem - one day recently my neighbour informed me that it was a Christmas tree that a previous home owner had planted some 25 years ago!!

the same neighbour was very concerned that the tree had become much taller than the other trees in the area and was swaying in high winds.

She asked me to seek advice regarding it’s safety and whether it’s likely to be blown over into our respective property.

Are these trees prone to blowing over, and does it look safe? Please help!

824CEE00-F99D-442A-B3DC-70F5931CC2D0.jpeg

DDF74F85-ABE9-4399-B3C3-62E81A5F6F38.jpeg

9 answers to this question

My wife's aunt has a Christmas tree they planted in the mid 60s, it's taken over the garden rather more than yours. I wouldn't say as a species they are particularly prone to falling but obviously it all depends what's going on at ground level that we can't see in the photos.

Also swaying is the trees natural way to absorb energy from the wind so in itself not a bad thing.

Standard advice if you are concerned get someone reputable to have a look, can't really be done from a photo or two.

• Like 1

I would tell your neighbour to mind there own and if they are a tree expert I’d be more concerned about the ash tree on the left that’s over them but never mind.

But just a thought , the tree has clearly survived every storm thrown at it since it’s been planted , why all of a sudden is it an issue now?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Hi chaps, that’s overall positive feedback for my Christmas tree. Thanks!

I now have some rather ironic feedback for them regarding their Ash tree...

As requested, I’ve provided some pics of the ground level. I hope this helps. 
The tree is planted down a bank behind the garden with a small stream 10ft behind it. 

thanks again all!

503FDFCF-97C8-4EEF-9183-6BDFD197A169.jpeg

5EE4B0D2-E5C4-4BD1-B95B-23313F828EC6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Beyond the Pines said:

Hi chaps, that’s overall positive feedback for my Christmas tree. Thanks!

I now have some rather ironic feedback for them regarding their Ash tree...

As requested, I’ve provided some pics of the ground level. I hope this helps. 
The tree is planted down a bank behind the garden with a small stream 10ft behind it. 

thanks again all!

503FDFCF-97C8-4EEF-9183-6BDFD197A169.jpeg

5EE4B0D2-E5C4-4BD1-B95B-23313F828EC6.jpeg

I think the only way you can cover yourself is to pay an Arboricultural consultant to look at it.  There will be many on Arbtalk who could do this.  What is clear from the photos of the base is it is going to over the coming years damage the little retaining wall and the fence as it is only going to get bigger.  But I guess we are talking decades not just years.

• Like 1

Hi Sitka spruce and it should not be a problem at all at the moment, they seem to stand well on there own like that and as J said should be ok for next decade at least and  dont all trees sway in the wind !, Then as Matty says that Ash is a much bigger issue, in my eyes the Ash has die back and when they get this the timber becomes very very brittle, its your neighbours tree that is more of a issue, ask them to get a report on there Ash and split the cost between you,

• Like 1