The Cooking Thread

AHPP

59 minutes ago, AHPP said:

My mum used to make excellent flapjacks. Ginger syrup is the secret weapon.

That sounds good!

My ex partner's sister once made me a massive batch of flapjacks for my birthday. She accidently used double the amount of sugar, butter and syrup.

Best things I've ever tasted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That sounds good!  

My ex partner's sister once made me a massive batch of flapjacks for my birthday. She accidently used double the amount of sugar, butter and syrup.

Best things I've ever tasted.

I do likewise but on purpose. A similarly simple and superb snack is pour some seeds into a mug and stir honey in. It’s basically baclava without the tedium of preparation and cooking.

It doesn’t have to be seeds of course. I have a box of miscellaneous carbohydratestuffs. Any of that will do.

• Like 2

Super light really healthy No bake cheesecake.

600g cream cheese (philadelphia)

350ml cream

120g maltesers (it was 150 but I got peckish)

A few digestive and/or rich tea biscuits and a few oatmeal biscuits, about 100g total

125g icing sugar

1 vanilla pod

30g butter

Slowly melt the butter on very low heat, bash up the biscuits and most of the maltesers, add the butter, stir for a moment and layer the bottom of your cake dish then refrigerate.

Whisk the cream cheese and cream until it leaves soft peaks, add sugar to taste then the vanilla and whisk to stiff peaks. Drop in remaining maltesers and fold in by hand. Layer over the base and put back in the fridge overnight.

Remove from fridge and eat for breakfast.

Daal

125g lentils

1.5 litres water

3-4 tomatoes quartered

1tsp ground cumin

1tsp ground ginger

1tsp ground coriander

1tsp salt

2 chillies chopped

4-5 cloves of garlic finely sliced or a decent spoonful of minced garlic

Some olive oil

Handful fresh coriander roughly chopped.

Put lentils, tomatoes, dried spices, one of the chillies and water in a pan. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.  Remember to stir the pan.  After an hour and a bit or so, or whenever the lentils are close to cooked, add the other chopped chilli and the chopped up fresh coriander.
Then get another pan and put some olive oil in it. Whack the garlic in until it’s starting to soften and then pour the garlic/oil into the daal. Give it a good stir, whack a little extra fresh coriander on top and away you go. Good with rice or breads.

You can squeeze some lemon on if you're feeling radical.

Edited by Mark J
  • Thanks 1

Flapjacks yesterday with the kids.
Turned out a bit soft and the recipe I used had too much sugar for my taste, but they are disappearing quick!
62A8E0D1-4766-4EAF-9B26-951AF086F5F0.thumb.jpeg.8e0769af8be31771db390c6c0ce57d19.jpeg
Ah that's what flapjack looks like. Apparently my wife made a whole tray last week but we've got two teenage boys at home now schools are shut. Grrrr.

Mind I was like it when I was their age, can't really blame 'em.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mark J said:

Daal

125g lentils

1.5 litres water

3-4 tomatoes quartered

1tsp ground cumin

1tsp ground ginger

1tsp ground coriander

1tsp salt

2 chillies chopped

4-5 cloves of garlic finely sliced or a decent spoonful of minced garlic

Some olive oil

Handful fresh coriander roughly chopped.

Put lentils, tomatoes, dried spices, one of the chillies and water in a pan. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.  Remember to stir the pan.  After an hour and a bit or so, or whenever the lentils are close to cooked, add the other chopped chilli and the chopped up fresh coriander.
Then get another pan and put some olive oil in it. Whack the garlic in until it’s starting to soften and then pour the garlic/oil into the daal. Give it a good stir, whack a little extra fresh coriander on top and away you go. Good with rice or breads.

Sounds good, might give it a go. theres a great book "how to be a curry legend", from the spicery, comes with a their own spice mixes, have tried a few recipes from it and they have all worked out. If you like your Indian style grub it's money well spent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Sounds good, might give it a go. theres a great book "how to be a curry legend", from the spicery, comes with a their own spice mixes, have tried a few recipes from it and they have all worked out. If you like your Indian style grub it's money well spent.

Aye it's tasty. I'll have a look at that. I like curried meats too,  I'm hungry now.