The Cooking Thread

AHPP

• 2 weeks later...

Queues at the shop. Fuck that. Egg (and onion) fried rice.

IMG_6749.jpg

Wok
Loads of oil
Onion(s)
Ginger, garlic, chilli
Egg(s) when the onion is nearly done. Let the egg fry enough to hold together but not so much that it’s a complete fried egg. Then stir it up and give it a few more seconds.
Turmeric, sometimes nutmeg
Rice (cooked, duh)

Ideally serve with gloopy soy sauce that you get from foreign shops, not the thin piss from Tesco. Also available from foreign shops, monosodium glutamate. Often called something hopeful like “magic powder,” it does make the dish more like it would be from a takeaway but will probably also give you a heart murmur.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6807.jpg

Carrot fried noodles.

Couple of reduced bags of grated carrot (just past the turn and fermenting slightly) into a hot and oily wok.
Garlic, chilli and ginger. I’ve taken to cutting my ginger julienne because I like the idea I’m sophisticated and you occasionally get a nice chewy bit.
Loads of turmeric, watered in with some boiling water that dissolved the dregs of a jar of honey. I thought the honey might offset the tang of the gracelessly maturing carrot. Undecided.
Noodles, salt and pepper. I’ve taken to grinding my pepper in a manual coffee grinder to get it coarse enough. My other grinders are a bit dainty.
Serve in a bowl I’ve used several times before so avoided the photo reaching the stained and disheveled edge.

Would probably work well with egg and rice and less turmeric and garlic as a sweet ish breakfast dish. Maybe with a dollop of yoghurt or similar like the very loosest attempt at a carrot cake.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I should have posted images of the last few fry-ups the wife made(and I will the next time) M&S(or any other reputable) black pudding, soft fried eggs and Heinz baked beans being the central items.

BUT

The reason for my post today was the first successful(in 61-16=45 years!!!) steak, cooked at home that is.

The wife and myself were not reared to eat steaks(due to tight arsed parentage!), and despite enjoying the occassional decent steak when out, were never able to cook a steak at home to please ourselves, though in honesty mostly Tesco type offerings, with the odd "decent" butchers steak thrown in, but always, always, always, disappointing.

But when we were in M&S looking for their black pudding(and see above) we bought a couple of 450g sealed in plastic sirloin steaks.

Which when opened did not bleed whatsoever!, and following the instructions on the pack for a rare finish, were quite perfect, pre-heat the heavy-arsed SS pan in the oven, then transfer onto the big gas/wok ring on max flame before the steak was popped in, 2 mins each side, no touch, followed by 10-12 mins in the oven at 180 deg Fan(which had previously preheated the pan)

Nor did it bleed out after cooking, at all.

Washed down with a decent Shiraz.

Why take me 45 years to figure this out!

BURP!!!!

Edited by difflock

Well I should have posted images of the last few fry-ups the wife made(and I will the next time) M&S(or any other reputable) black pudding, soft fried eggs and Heinz baked beans being the central items.
BUT
The reason for my post today was the first successful(in 61-16=45 years!!!) steak, cooked at home that is.
The wife and myself were not reared to eat steaks(due to tight arsed parentage!), and despite enjoying the occassional decent steak when out, were never able to cook a steak at home to please ourselves, though in honesty mostly Tesco type offerings, with the odd "decent" butchers steak thrown in, but always, always, always, disappointing.
But when we were in M&S looking for their black pudding(and see above) we bought a couple of 450g sealed in plastic sirloin steaks.
Which when opened did not bleed whatsoever!, and following the instructions on the pack for a rare finish, were quite perfect, pre-heat the heavy-arsed SS pan in the oven, then transfer onto the big gas/wok ring on max flame before the steak was popped in, 2 mins each side, no touch, followed by 10-12 mins in the oven at 180 deg Fan(which had previously preheated the pan)
Nor did it bleed out after cooking, at all.
Washed down with a decent Shiraz.
Why take me 45 years to figure this out!
BURP!!!!

Heretic!!!
For a 1” thick steak (ribeye is good)
Get a cast iron pan,
30ml of veg oil
Heated to smoking hot.
2 mins each side no touching/moving
Then remove from heat
Leave 1 minute
Add a large knob of butter
Pour buttery juices over chips.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]