The Cooking Thread

AHPP

Guest Gimlet

Not on the plate yet but a casserole of filleted roe neck and butter beans cooked in stock and beer is bubbling away. Some of it will be going into tomorrow's lunch bag food flask. 

DSC_0112.thumb.JPG.0c557591e95399a56ddb0092b39c0836.JPG

Guest Gimlet
1 hour ago, youngsbury said:

Chicken and butternut curry with a big handful of wild garlic ??

E4C1ACD1-9F4E-402C-AE54-B5C57E6707B6.jpeg

Wild garlic. Thanks for reminding me. A big handful is due to go in the casserole. 

4 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Not on the plate yet but a casserole of filleted roe neck and butter beans cooked in stock and beer is bubbling away. Some of it will be going into tomorrow's lunch bag food flask. 

DSC_0112.thumb.JPG.0c557591e95399a56ddb0092b39c0836.JPG

That’s looking handsome. Wild garlic made it just the leaves and sliced fine like very mild garlic spinach 

Guest Gimlet

Yep wild garlic is wonderful stuff. I picked a massive bag last week and I've been using it lots. keeps well too. Better get another bag this week. 

The flowers are coming out now. I love chucking them over a salad. Looks nice and they've got a softer sweeter taste. 

Been living on wild salads of garlic leaves, bramble tips, primrose leaves and flowers and hawthorn tips.

Looking forward to Jack-in-the-hedge, dandelion and beech leaves coming out.

48 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Yep wild garlic is wonderful stuff. I picked a massive bag last week and I've been using it lots. keeps well too. Better get another bag this week. 

The flowers are coming out now. I love chucking them over a salad. Looks nice and they've got a softer sweeter taste. 

Been living on wild salads of garlic leaves, bramble tips, primrose leaves and flowers and hawthorn tips.

Looking forward to Jack-in-the-hedge, dandelion and beech leaves coming out.

I’m lucky as there’s a large patch not 50m from the workshop ! Also freezes well and is really good in a risotto with either crayfish or pigeon breast 

2436B56B-8142-4EB3-915C-91CBFF6E1850.jpeg

• Like 1

IMG_6502.thumb.jpg.828b5ebe014f5dcc726f114df9ae4f23.jpg

Wok

Oil/lard/whatever

Onion

Salt

Whatever meat - couple of cut up sausages in this one

Prep your veg while it fries

Greens (very roughly chopped the mange tout or it’s messy to eat)

Garlic and chilli

Quick turn but don’t let the garlic fry too much. Just sweat it to wake it up.

Whatever carbohydrate, pre cooked

Spices - I usually go with cumin, coriander and turmeric but held back on the turmeric this time because all my crockery is yellow

Shake of nutmeg makes everything better

Two mugs of water

Turn the lot and let the water move all the spices about. Add more water if you want it soupier or serve when the water’s pretty much gone if you want it drier. Five minutes bubbling will do that.

Chopsticks for the majority but take a deep spoon for the straggling bits and the soup dregs.

IMG_6502.thumb.jpg.828b5ebe014f5dcc726f114df9ae4f23.jpg

Wok
Oil/lard/whatever
Onion
Salt
Whatever meat - couple of cut up sausages in this one
Prep your veg while it fries
Greens (very roughly chopped the mange tout or it’s messy to eat)
Garlic and chilli
Quick turn but don’t let the garlic fry too much. Just sweat it to wake it up.
Whatever carbohydrate, pre cooked
Spices - I usually go with cumin, coriander and turmeric but held back on the turmeric this time because all my crockery is yellow
Shake of nutmeg makes everything better
Two mugs of water
Turn the lot and let the water move all the spices about. Add more water if you want it soupier or serve when the water’s pretty much gone if you want it drier. Five minutes bubbling will do that.
Chopsticks for the majority but take a deep spoon for the straggling bits and the soup dregs.

Ever considered becoming an author? ?