What's everyone doing?

Rough Hewn

27 minutes ago, difflock said:

I had a browse through a local undertakers coffin stock, pure curiosity, I had expressed an interest in the cardboard coffin(as recommended by the Green Party, but still a very good idea) he was more interested in showing me the latest faddish Wickerwork coffin(complete with naff, probably not biodegradable,  plastic liner), which, needless to say, was more expensive than a solid wood coffin.

I was however, in general gunked at how poorly made many of the "solid Oak/solid Mahogony" coffins were with poorly colour matched filler showing, nevermind the hideous shiny not-brass handles and trimmings.

Marcus

I was working for a woman who's husband hadn't been dead long. She asked me to get a a heavy bit of kit out of one of the outbuildings, off I toddled, opened the door to find a coffin leaning against the wall. I nearly had a heart attack! The old French chap who she looked after next door, had been a cabinet maker and had been the village coffin maker. He had one in his shed for himself and had given my customer the other for when she went. I obviously assumed it contained her recently departed husband. It was an absolutely beautiful bit of oak, but unfortunately oak coffins aren't allowed to be burnt in the Crematoriums out here as they take so long to burn. Thank God for stout underwear. As an aside, when this woman and husband had initially contacted me, I turned up to find that they had been the licensees of one of my local pubs in Dorset that I occasionally visited. Small world out here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, difflock said:

I had a browse through a local undertakers coffin stock, pure curiosity, I had expressed an interest in the cardboard coffin(as recommended by the Green Party, but still a very good idea) he was more interested in showing me the latest faddish Wickerwork coffin(complete with naff, probably not biodegradable,  plastic liner), which, needless to say, was more expensive than a solid wood coffin.

I was however, in general gunked at how poorly made many of the "solid Oak/solid Mahogony" coffins were with poorly colour matched filler showing, nevermind the hideous shiny not-brass handles and trimmings.

Marcus

Yeah, I always think it’s a waste of wood really. What’s the point in a nice coffin when it’s just going to be burnt or buried? Some kind of lined cardboard concoction should surely be fine and I’d sooner leaver the saved £1k or whatever to my family.

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1

Just now, Matthew Storrs said:

Yeah, I always think it’s a waste of wood really. What’s the point in a nice coffin when it’s just going to be burnt or buried? Some kind of lined cardboard concoction should surely be fine and I’d sooner leaver the saved £1k or whatever to my family.

When choosing a coffin for mum we were going to go for wicker or cardboard one. The undertakers made a bit of a face. I asked what the problem was and they said the snag with both those options was they are not very rigid so proved very awkward to carry by pallbearers and they were problematic for cremation as they burnt too fast just leaving the body which was a problem for some reason. Anyway we went with their recommendation of a regular one

19 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Or if people want a nice coffin, why can’t you just rent one. The body is put in a bag, and then in the coffin, when cremation comes they could just lift the bag out and keep the coffin back for the next customer?

Can just see the add on eBay say, coffins for sale used  once. 

The other thing is you will never know what your buried in.

26 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

When choosing a coffin for mum we were going to go for wicker or cardboard one. The undertakers made a bit of a face. I asked what the problem was and they said the snag with both those options was they are not very rigid so proved very awkward to carry by pallbearers and they were problematic for cremation as they burnt too fast just leaving the body which was a problem for some reason. Anyway we went with their recommendation of a regular one

And did you have to purchase the more ridged and vastly more expensive one from them as well? 

These Undertakers, did they perchance have large frontage windows? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tree-fancier123 said:

cremation seems such a waste of energy and nutrients - I'd like to be microwaved for 5 mins to kill any bacteria then put through a meat grinder and used as fertilizer

I think the IRA had the same idea, 48hrs in the freezer then fed in through the chipper to feed the pigs!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

who knows this may be the end and we will be back at the begining with Adam & Eave ? and  if Adam turns out to be from Stoke on Trent thats the END

I don't understand the reference to Stoke on Trent. I live on the rural outskirts.