What's everyone doing?

Rough Hewn

Stockpiling logs is about as good as my plan gets business wise. Not the best of plans but it should give some sales of some sort.

The help offered to self employed if taken to the letter would mean me paying them as I set up a Ltd company 18 months ago and have been pouring money into it. Shame really as a bit of free cash right now would be nice, especially as it will likely be me helping pay off all this debt in future.

Plenty of funds right now though so in a better position than most even though my sales evaporated mid Feb. Counting my blessings, keeping my head down and have no great need to set foot out the gate.

Really do wish the best to you out there fretting, easier said than done but try not to stress too much. You need to keep yourself healthy in mind and body. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Hi Gary . No not officially but yes . Everyone is " racing " on a track day !  I used to love going to Matchams Park to watch Motocross or scrambling as it was called back then ☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.c3e2aae73e0753ef33bb6fdb0ba7fd5b.jpeghere's one of me from back in the day

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Was going to go Ltd this month.

I just realised that says Limited, my dyslexia read it as Lidl  ? i despair at myself sometimes K

Edited by Khriss
( tho Lidls actually do have toilet rol now so it werent a bad shout....)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

Not going to disagree with any of that, as thats my thoughts as well, and i think if we all  pull together as a nation when all this shit is over i for one hope and i do live in hope on this is that the UK can bounce back from this and we can be a stronger nation than before and we can jump back up the worlds top performance list from No5 to may be 2 or 3 but No1 would be even better, after all we led the world for decades in production and design, may be again, BUT Covid-19 is not over yet and no one can say when, who knows this may be the end and we will be back at the begining with Adam & Eave ? and  if Adam turns out to be from ROMFORD thats really  the END ! 

Absolutely. But We have lost a lot of skills n mindsets from back when, sadly,  K

• Like 2

Good thing about the self employed help is a grant whether you are working or not, so continue to do whatever work you can and claim whatever you can when it's available. If you can stand the guy Martin Lewis has made some videos about the situation, universal credit had been improved a lot in terms of rent support and who is covered and I don't think you have to stop working.

This is in contrast to the PAYE people who have to declare furlough and stop work to be get anything. I kind of fall in between as less than half my income self employed and I get mainly dividends from my ltd company but I can continue working that from home so just carrying on as best I can really.

I've been out today tidying up someone's garden borders, not really exciting tree surgery but needed a chipper to deal with the mound of brash. While I was doing that nextdoor neighbors asked me round to cut the top out of an overgrown hawthorn so had a full day out and made a few quid.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Stockpiling logs is about as good as my plan gets business wise. Not the best of plans but it should give some sales of some sort.

The help offered to self employed if taken to the letter would mean me paying them as I set up a Ltd company 18 months ago and have been pouring money into it. Shame really as a bit of free cash right now would be nice, especially as it will likely be me helping pay off all this debt in future.

Plenty of funds right now though so in a better position than most even though my sales evaporated mid Feb. Counting my blessings, keeping my head down and have no great need to set foot out the gate.

Really do wish the best to you out there fretting, easier said than done but try not to stress too much. You need to keep yourself healthy in mind and body. 

This does seem to be one of the gaps that the support for business has left.  If you're self-employed there is something (potentially).  If you're paying business rates then there's a £10,000 grant.  But if you're a small Limited Company with the Director being the sole employee (guess who) then it starts to look less rosy.  And if you've not been taking a salary in order to help pay back start up costs, then at the minute you get rod all.

Granted, I could apply for a loan but as I've managed to get my running costs right down (I've pretty much cancelled everything save the landy insurance) then I hope to weather the storm with savings and whatever other cash comes in over the coming months, it seems to be the cheapest option.

TSB are still asking for an affordability questionnaire to be filled in before they'll give me an overdraft.  Can't see that going well!

But the wife's teachers pay and a small pension will keep us going.  It's just irritating to know that the last 5 years of planning and hard work might end up as nothing (or minus tens of 1000s).

Still - there are many people in a hell of a worse position than me.  It's them I feel sorry for.

• Like 4

Some thing a lot of people forget and its not the nicest subject but the way things are at the moment its reality. I do a fair amount for one of the local undertakers and like he has said to me in the past,When people loose parents ants/uncles and close older family they leave behind property and money ect, In time all that comes back into the system which keeps the economy running so always the need for trades people and always will be. Just going to take time for things to get going again. Trees will not stop growing and people will always need places to live.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2