Medium size 4x4

AHPP

My dad's after a medium size 4x4 for a bit of hobby work in his maturing years; some fencing, cut up the odd tree etc. He wants to tow a light trailer from time to time and very occasionally a horsebox. He's not that bothered about being legal towing the horsebox (which I imagine are plated quite high?) as long as it doesn't look ridiculous and the engine and drivetrain handle it better than his current small Volvo estate.

On road tax, he's used to £46 a year so anything's going to be a shock. Am I right in saying that when you get into the bigger vehicles, they can go up into the £400 and more range but if the vehicle is deemed (presumably on the V5C?) to be a commercial vehicle, blanked off windows etc, it's a blanket £260 ish that all vans are?

I was thinking something along the lines of a Nissan X-Trail, maybe an Izuzu Trooper or that Mitsubishi that looks about the same size. Toyota Rav4 might be a bit small.

Budget £2000-2500 ish. What do people reckon? 

4 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I have a 2007 Hyundai tucson, 2ltr diesel all mod cons, really nice drive, can legally tow approx 1.6t I think. I tow a caravan with mine with no problem. I highly recommend them.

Yeah. That sort of thing. What's the road tax?

Yeah. That sort of thing. What's the road tax?
Not too sure to be honest, I think its about the £300 mark, I get mid to high 30's per gallon on a decent run. I got mine about 18mth ago, it had a new clutch fitted and I paid for the timing belt to be done. I have had to have the abs sensors done which cost me about £300, but engine wise it runs like a dream. Its about to go in for a front spring, but that was due to a pot hole. I'm no mechanic so it goes to the garage for everything. I paid about about £3500 for mine with about 85k on clock.

I bought this Disco 1 300tdi a few months ago for £1500 with full MOT, chassis is spotless and only a bit of rust in boot floor (can buy replacement panels). I bought it to cover my defender whilst it was going to be rebuilt on Galv chassis, but you know what the defender had been sat still for 2 months now. The disco is just an absolute beaut, it’s the perfect balance of comfort and refinement vs old school basic mechanics, thouroughly reccomend if you can find a tidy example of one. £260 tax a year, can tow 3.5t, doesn’t feel big. Just love it.

7A28D798-421C-491E-9BE4-9B38D4715E75.jpeg

• Like 8