Husqvarna 550xp mk2 or Stihl ms261 cm?

daveychainsaw

I keep thinking about this for the time my 261 dies.

People rave about the 550, it does apparently solve the issues which the MK1 had.

The 261 cuts just as fast, weighs 500g less, and is about £50 more. Skogsforum have some comparisons.

I lean towards the 261 as I have bar and chains in that gauge, you would probably better going 550 for the same reason that you can switch stuff around if you want to, only caution would be to check the weight because you may notice it compared to the 346.

I don't think you can go wrong really with either, they are both good saws.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spudulike said:

I am taking bits and pieces in but am only leaving the house rarely for food or daily for a walk as we are 100 yards from open fields, spares are still coming in if I need them but no idea for how long.

Work has dried up in the main, couriers are still running bless them.

Maybe I can send it to you when the situation improves?

Can i ask what kind of things you do and what 'ported' means?

Cheers

15 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Dave, on a side note, can I ask how you found the 455 rancher, as I'm thinking of getting one, for the same type of work you describe.
Cheers
Harvey.

Harvey, mine was the much older 55 rancher. It was fine but the 346xp was a massive step up in terms or speed and torque. just a much nicer saw all round as it should be.

Never had any real issues with the mk1 550 never had any with the 261 it just didn’t feel a better saw in the woods , there is a rumour a 261 replacement is on its way but if stihl have shut down that could be delayed... or you will pick a 261 up cheaper in the future.

Both decent saws in their current guise, maintenance is easy with the 261 although I find the filter picks up the fine dust quickly so needs tapping out fairly regularly. Stihl is lighter but I think the AV springs seem softer to me than Husky ones but maybe a personal thing and maybe old school but I’m not fonder of everything being made as light as possible as I find the saw a bit jumpy especially on Stihl’s rapid super chain. The mark II 550 seems well  built to me but heavier in the hand. I don’t mind this and think it handles nicely still. It may not seem so sprightly at the bottom end to the mark I but when your asking it to work hard find that it’s very willing. Depending on price it may come down to ergonomics as to what feels better in the hand. I’ve got the xpg version and find it’s a joy to use and hasn’t shown any symptoms of the mark 1.

34 minutes ago, Cowmop said:

Just gone from ms 250 to a new 550xpg 11 what a beast.
My thinking was that it a new saw with the latest technology as it only been out a year, the MS 261a fair bir longer?
I am totally in love with it.be03344b1c6d08df4faa75490ff48e69.jpg

Its for " bazzing " all day in the woods . Proper ! ☺️

• Like 1