Husqvarna 550xp mk2 or Stihl ms261 cm?

daveychainsaw

Hello,

I'm looking for a new saw as an upgrade to my old Husky 346xp which has gotten a bit temperamental.

Thinking of either the Husqvarna 550xp mk2 or the Stihl ms261 cm. 

My local dealer stocks both but is a main Stihl dealer and said that the ms261 cm has been the more popular and that both have been very reliable. I haver no particular brand loyalty just want the best 50cc saw in that price range. Will mostly be used for property maintenance and landscape and very occasional felling of small trees and cutting up fallen trees up to about 20" diameter. 

The saw won't get used that regularly so will need to be happy to left unused for long periods. But when it does get used it will used hard. Given the current lockdown I won't be able to visit the dealer and try them out.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Dave

Edited by daveychainsaw
correction

32 minutes ago, daveychainsaw said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a new saw as an upgrade to my old Husky 346xp which has gotten a bit temperamental.

My local dealer stocks both but is a main Stihl dealer and said that the ms261 cm has been the more popular and that both have been very reliable. I haver no particular brand loyalty just want the best 50cc saw in that price range. Will mostly be used for property maintenance and landscape and very occasional felling of small trees and cutting up fallen trees up to about 20" diameter. 

The saw won't get used that regularly so will need to be happy to left unused for long periods. But when it does get used it will used hard. Given the current lockdown I won't be able to visit the dealer and try them out.

Dave

Me , I would go for the 550mk2 . I , unlike you do have some sort of brand loyalty but having read/heard all the " big Ups " for the 550 MK 2 I would not hesitate .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, daveychainsaw said:

Hello,

Dave

Husqvarna 550xp is a great saw,but so is a 346xp,absoloute classic saw,get it fixed is my advice will outlast new stuff

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Husqvarna 550xp is a great saw,but so is a 346xp,absoloute classic saw,get it fixed is my advice will outlast new stuff

Second this . I have a Spud ported 346 ( 50cc ) and it pulls a 15" full chiz with an 8 pin sprocket . Probably a tad quicker than a bog standard 550 .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Me , I would go for the 550mk2 . I , unlike you do have some sort of brand loyalty but having read/heard all the " big Ups " for the 550 MK 2 I would not hesitate .

I guess i probably phrased that wrong, i have two Husqvarna saws, the 346xp and an old 55 rancher as well as Stihl strimmers and a Kombi hedge trimmer/pole chainsaw. What i mean is that I really like both brands and so would be happy with either - just want to get the best option. If i'm being honest I've always found the Husky orange a big draw ?

I would get my 346xp sorted but at the moment I'm self isolating as an asthmatic so not heading out of the house but have a massive backlog of chainsaw jobs to do at home and for neighbours. The last few times i used it it was taking an age to get started.

Thanks for the comments

Dave

Edited by daveychainsaw
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I guess i probably phrased that wrong, i have two Husqvarna saws, the 346xp and an old 55 rancher as well as Stihl strimmers and a Kombi hedge trimmer/pole chainsaw. What i mean is that I really like both brands and so would be happy with either - just want to get the best option. If i'm being honest I've always found the Husky orange a big draw [emoji6]

I would get my 346xp sorted but at the moment I'm self isolating as an asthmatic so not heading out of the house but have a massive backlog of chainsaw jobs to do at home and for neighbours. The last few times i used it it was taking an age to get started.

Thanks for the comments
Dave
Dave, on a side note, can I ask how you found the 455 rancher, as I'm thinking of getting one, for the same type of work you describe.
Cheers
Harvey.

I am taking bits and pieces in but am only leaving the house rarely for food or daily for a walk as we are 100 yards from open fields, spares are still coming in if I need them but no idea for how long.

Work has dried up in the main, couriers are still running bless them.