Wood toxicity

Forest2Furniture

It's been recognised for years that our job working with trees is one of the most dangerous jobs mainly due to the machinery we use.

Well for those who now mill their timber that danger has possibly unknowingly increased.

All wood has a toxicity of some sort or another but knowing which ones and what is a minefield, so I've compiled a list (pdf attached)for the most

common trees we have here in the UK.

I realise some of you will think wearing a facemask is uncool but no worse then carrying an oxygen tank with you when you suffer

from emphysema

UK Wood species.pdf

• Like 2

Wearing a face mask is uncool. :D 

In the industry I work in PPE is so ingrained into me that its second nature to wear to all the time. When working with mates they call me Mr Safety. :D 

I'm away to have a look at the link, cheers. :) Ive not been wearing a mask yet but I guess I need to reconsider that. 

• Like 1

Most uk hardwoods (from my understanding) are only carcinogenic if breathing seasoned sawdust.
Fresh apparently is ok.
(Not all species).
It's the spalted/rotten stuff I'm wary of.
Guy who runs my yard has a permanent fungal infection of the lungs.

all timber is dangerous, the fine dust particles that come of whatever you are doing can settle in the linnings of your lungs, and being organic can start to cause all kinds of problems, from a mild cough to full blown lung cancer.....just learn to be aware of what your doing and the envioroment your working in

• Like 1

i hope everyone realises that they are more likely to get killed by a badly felled tree...

toxicity goes around the woodturning forums all the time and i'm yet to have anyone give an example where wood toxicity was a major factor.

foliage is a different matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

i hope everyone realises that they are more likely to get killed by a badly felled tree...

toxicity goes around the woodturning forums all the time and i'm yet to have anyone give an example where wood toxicity was a major factor.

foliage is a different matter.

Thank you!

Growing up with an Old Man in the trade and meeting all his hippy mates Im yet to see one drop off due to saw dust.  Im not saying its not an issue but as covered on this forum within the last couple of days Im, highly likely gonna die for eating Beaver im not sure I need worry about wood particles. 

• Like 1