Are we in lock-down?

Magooligan

Worked today (Chainsaw shop) 90% of customers were domestic users. All leaning on the counter enjoying there day off. Had to keep asking them to stand back, some more than once even though there's a big sign telling them to. We only opened for our larger customers ( council/utilities etc) but yet they kept coming. Who knew chainsaws, hedge trimmers were essential goods!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Of course you can work - 'travelling to and from work, but only if you cannot work from home.'

Working as many of us do outside in rural locations, keeping apart, probably carries the lowest risk in society of infection.

Nothing irresponsible in that to stay afloat.

Screenshot_20200324-124103_Samsung Internet.jpg

15 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Am I wrong in thinking that PAYE employees are only getting 80% in they are made redundant? 

The employer will be reimbursed 80% of their wages if the lay them off (furlough, they call it) for three months. See following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

I have only read it once so far, but my understanding is that to be able to claim 80% reimbursement on wages, the employee has to be officially laid off for 3 months. This is different to being made redundant.  I only have on worker on PAYE, and two subbies. I don't want to commit to laying him off for 3 months, just yet, so I will fund his wages for now, even though we are not working, and review the situation in a couple of weeks. My take on it is that if I lay him off right now, to claim the 80% reimbursement, he then cannot return to work within the three months even if all restrictions on movement etc are lifted.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

The employer will be reimbursed 80% of their wages if the lay them off (furlough, they call it) for three months. See following link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

I have only read it once so far, but my understanding is that to be able to claim 80% reimbursement on wages, the employee has to be officially laid off for 3 months. This is different to being made redundant.  I only have on worker on PAYE, and two subbies. I don't want to commit to laying him off for 3 months, just yet, so I will fund his wages for now, even though we are not working, and review the situation in a couple of weeks. My take on it is that if I lay him off right now, to claim the 80% reimbursement, he then cannot return to work within the three months even if all restrictions on movement etc are lifted.

Where have you found the 3 month return-to-work limitation info (or any info for that matter?). 

18 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Where have you found the 3 month return-to-work limitation info (or any info for that matter?). 

Follow the link for the basic info. I can't see anything about the 3 month return to work limitation in that link, but I am pretty sure I saw it somewhere official online. Will post another link if I remember/find it.

20 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Follow the link for the basic info. I can't see anything about the 3 month return to work limitation in that link, but I am pretty sure I saw it somewhere official online. Will post another link if I remember/find it.

Cheers - if you would that would be appreciated. I’ve struggled to find any info of note, but need to make a decision sooner rather than later and am concerned that if I just say to the lads ‘you’re all furloughed, see you when we are through this’ there may be problems down the line (mostly to do with not actually getting any government money due to possible hurdles nobody yet knows about)..........

On 24/03/2020 at 19:02, monkeybusiness said:

Cheers - if you would that would be appreciated. I’ve struggled to find any info of note, but need to make a decision sooner rather than later and am concerned that if I just say to the lads ‘you’re all furloughed, see you when we are through this’ there may be problems down the line (mostly to do with not actually getting any government money due to possible hurdles nobody yet knows about)..........

I have looked at the info on gov.uk again, and I think I must have misunderstood the 3 month return to work limitation. I am going to "furlough" my one worker on PAYE, as of 24/3/20. The mechanism is not yet in place for reclaiming the 80 per cent, so I am just going top have to do this and hope it does get sorted. I will make up the remaining 20 per cent myself for him.

• Like 3