Are we in lock-down?

Magooligan

So as a sole trader tree surgeon working with sub contractors can we work? No real money from government unlike PAYE employees despite us paying our tax and more NI than

they do we get fewer benefits.

This being the case what is essential? Well to earn money to make up for what the Government has overlooked to offer? We’re travelling separately, isolated on site (sometimes 20m up a tree!) we aren’t a gathering, so is that contrary to advice?

What do you say?

Stay safe folks!

So as a sole trader tree surgeon working with sub contractors can we work? No real money from government unlike PAYE employees despite us paying our tax and more NI than

This being the case what is essential? Well to earn money to make up for what the Government has overlooked to offer? We’re travelling separately, isolated on site (sometimes 20m up a tree!) we aren’t a gathering, so is that contrary to advice?

What do you say?

Stay safe folks!
I have sympathy as in a similar situation. It isn't crystal clear what is 'absolutely necessary ' and you could get away with working. However bojo's opening words were -stay at home.

I think the 2 previous replies have got it right.
  • Like 1

I have been self employed since being a teenager, that's been my choice. I've never claimed a benefit, and never want to. I've never had any loans or finance (apart from mortgage), all the machinery etc is mine

99% of my work is on my own, in rural areas, I have been socially distancing my whole life!!

I wasn't working today, and plan on not working during the lock down. I had people on the phone today wanting to book me in!

My work isn't essential.

It can wait.

Edited by scbk
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Yup, locked down. Down tools I think. 

I'll work tomorrow as I've got to finish todays job. May work later in the week as it's storm damage over a (usually) busy road. Depends if the traffic management are still running though really...

Then that's me until further notice. 

Thoughts are with everyone directly affected by Covid. Just gotta do our bit and try to slow the spread...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Magooligan said:

No real money from government unlike PAYE employees despite us paying our tax and more NI than

Am I wrong in thinking that PAYE employees are only getting 80% in they are made redundant? 

Out of curiosity, since you raise the point, what have you actually paid in tax in the last three years? Personally I mean. :)