Radio earmuffs

jamesd

I am looking to buy some earmuffs with radio in them for those long and boring hedgecutting jobs.... Has anyone got any recommendations on which ones to get?

It would be good if they plugged into my phone etc as well as just a radio.

Cheers, James.

Missus bought me the Husqvarna X com r's for Valentines, they connect to bluetooth and fit my Petzl, sound quality is pretty good and can hear the music over a standard saw, ported and M/M 576xp does seem to drown them out a bit. Oh they are a bit pricey as well, but I bought her some posh boots so all good there ?

Just searched my old emails to find out the date - I bought a set of 3M/Peltor "worktunes" radio earmuffs in 2015, direct from the USA on ebay. Since then they have had a huge amount of use, all year round, although I usually chicken out of using them when it's absolutely tipping it down. They run on 2 AA batteries, I use rechargeables, and it's probably been the same pair of batteries the whole time, you get a good few days work from a charge.

The muffs are am/fm and 3.5mm input, although I've never used the jack. The sound quality is really good.

You should be able to fit them to a helmet, the mountings look the same.

Get some DAB ones... I got a set from clas Olson they are great have Bluetooth in do can answer your phone but they are only 28dB noise reduction so not quite loud enough to be used while brush cutting but plenty loud enough while brash dragging. But I think 3M do a set that are 32dB

• Like 1

Bit pricey but treated myself to some Stihl dynamic BT ear defenders last year. Battery lasts for days, good signal for the Bluetooth and comfy. I mainly wear them when doing mulcher work in the tractor.  Engine is so noisy can't really hear the standard radio, ear defender work great.  I'd recommend them. 

• Like 2

I've had 2 sets of the husky ones. I found them good while driving a noisy tractor, but I kept them on when jumping out to crosscut timber (with a 560) and damaged my hearing. They are comfy and the 2 AA batteries last ages, but not good enough near a saw

Edited by G13469

On 23/03/2020 at 21:46, Marsh Monkey said:

Get some DAB ones... I got a set from clas Olson they are great have Bluetooth in do can answer your phone but they are only 28dB noise reduction so not quite loud enough to be used while brush cutting but plenty loud enough while brash dragging. But I think 3M do a set that are 32dB

Thats kinda what Im after. Want a Bluetooth set as I mainly listen to Absolute Radio and it only on DAB. But Id be wanting to use them for Brush Cutting too.  So might have to keep looking.

It's a real premium option, but the Peltor Ws Alert XP is superb. It's a full bluetooth telephone headset, and the noise cancellation is excellent, so you can operate machinery and have a conversation at the same time. They work with Google Assistant too, so you can say "Listen to Foo Fighters Colour and the Shape on Youtube" and it'll play it. Battery lasts about 50-60 hours, I'd guess. About £300 though. I've had mine 2 years, they've had huge amounts of use and they are in perfect working order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2020 at 22:36, jamesd said:

I am looking to buy some earmuffs with radio in them for those long and boring hedgecutting jobs.... Has anyone got any recommendations on which ones to get?

It would be good if they plugged into my phone etc as well as just a radio.

Cheers, James.

I have used 3M worktunes over the years and they have served me good. 

Edited by Catie