Thinnings required for project in North East Scotland

Hello,

I'm working on a research project in north east Scotland and we're looking for forest thinnings.

We looking for whole timbers less than 140mm diameter, 2.4m long. Initially we are looking for 2 tonnes. Can collect from site.

The project is developing affordable rural housing that will reduce fuel poverty and increase prosperity in rural areas. At the same time we're also looking to bring more value to the thinnings segment of the market by using these timbers as structural elements, with minimal processing. The long term theory is that we can divert some of this timber from becoming firewood and reduce the carbon footprint by sequestering it in a building. The benefits over normal milled timber would be less processing and hence less embodied carbon.

If you know of anyone who might be willing to sell or donate such timbers please get in touch. 

Equally I'm looking for people in the industry to talk to about the feasibility of this project, so please get in touch if you would be happy to contribute.

Kind regards,

Matthew Clubb

Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen

drop a email to crathes castle head gardener James.    not sure of actual address for crathes but there is a general gets to most folks one.

depends on what you are looking for in terms of timber,

hardwood or softwood?

do you need now or autumn?

would shorter lengths or random stuff work?

trigger_andy Thanks....  We're based in Aberdeen, at RGU, but I would be able to travel to Forfar for collecting with a trailer/lorry.

David Wood.... thanks, I'll give that a try. We are looking for any species, as soon as possible, but the coronavirus epidemic may have an effect. Shorter lengths would work for us as well.

CallumA - yes thanks, I have, but apparently there's a waiting list for this stuff from the open market, hence why I was trying to seeing if a private estate might be interested. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, mattclubb said:

trigger_andy Thanks....  We're based in Aberdeen, at RGU, but I would be able to travel to Forfar for collecting with a trailer/lorry.

David Wood.... thanks, I'll give that a try. We are looking for any species, as soon as possible, but the coronavirus epidemic may have an effect. Shorter lengths would work for us as well.

CallumA - yes thanks, I have, but apparently there's a waiting list for this stuff from the open market, hence why I was trying to seeing if a private estate might be interested. Thanks.

Let me know if you want me to contact him.

I would imagine Callum will be right if ur only looking for a few pieces or even parts of tonne. Will be loads of wee stacks all over the woods.

U used to be able to buy a gleaming ticket of FC which meant u were allowed to scavenge all these piles.

Are u also experimenting with different species off tree?

Can imagine that might make a big difference to structural strengths esp on such small dia timber.

There is huge structural differences between species.Take YC 24 Sitka spruce V YC 8 scots pine or larch totally different?? Also take an untreated or poorly treated spruce fence post you'd be lucky if it hadn't rotted away at the base after 5 years when untreated larch would still be sound.

• Like 1

Thanks. Yes I think we'll need to be selective on species eventually, but this is really just a proof of concept at the moment.

So if I can get hold of Sitka Spruce thinnings for this project then that would be great, but not essential.

On future projects we'll get more into the engineering aspects and species selection.