Jump to content
bggc

Who’s going to work today?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I remember as a kid seeing haulage firm called "Moody Bros " round Yorkshire an thinking wouldn't want to be friends with them ! Bedford TK and ERF wagons. K

Hi Khriss, Different firm. Jack Moody Group has their head office in Cannock Birmingham. For truckers we run MAN lorries and also a new Scania. Jack Moody started the business over 50 years ago and now boasts the largest Garden centre in the midlands. Check out the website for Hollybush Garden centre and also Jack Moody group to see our profile. - Thanks

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JACK MOODY GROUP said:

Hi Khriss, Different firm. Jack Moody Group has their head office in Cannock Birmingham. For truckers we run MAN lorries and also a new Scania. Jack Moody started the business over 50 years ago and now boasts the largest Garden centre in the midlands. Check out the website for Hollybush Garden centre and also Jack Moody group to see our profile. - Thanks

it was a long time ago as ref : ERF's n TKs. Yard was in Goole n Selby. Don't get up to North much. K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I seriously dont understand how anyone who is self employed, and as such running a business does not have a money held back for emergencies? We're only 2 weeks into this yet it seems like folk are already on their knees. Whats their plan if they break a leg? Or anything that puts them outta work for 6-12 weeks? 

I have private health insurance and loss of earnings insurance to cover my back in case of an accident. Costs a bit but it's a no brainer to have a back up plan if you're doing silly things up trees for a living. I've not checked yet, however I highly doubt the loss of earnings policy covers a global pandemic. 

So even those who've been paying for policies may well find they're not worth a great deal right now...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Squirrel said:

I have private health insurance and loss of earnings insurance to cover my back in case of an accident. Costs a bit but it's a no brainer to have a back up plan if you're doing silly things up trees for a living. I've not checked yet, however I highly doubt the loss of earnings policy covers a global pandemic. 

So even those who've been paying for policies may well find they're not worth a great deal right now...

I get that. :) All my family and friends who are  self employed have 3 months held back for emergencies. Any expansion of their businesses can only go ahead when they have the funds to do so, without dipping into that cash.  If they do have to dip in its the first thing that gets topped back up with. To them its basic business acumen. But what would I know, eh? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I get that. :) All my family and friends who are  self employed have 3 months held back for emergencies. Any expansion of their businesses can only go ahead when they have the funds to do so, without dipping into that cash.  If they do have to dip in its the first thing that gets topped back up with. To them its basic business acumen. But what would I know, eh? 

You are most fortunate to have such a wise family and to have such wise friends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, s o c said:

You are most fortunate to have such a wise family and to have such wise friends.

I think they got all their advice out of a kinder egg, but even those basic guidelines are in there. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon many SE people have periods when there’s plenty in the bank, then other periods when there’s a little less fat on the bone.

 

This can be due to an unexpected expense, daughter getting married, bad payers, paying down a loan or any number of reasons.


It’s a bit like musical chairs, but instead of the music stopping, the world did.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I reckon many SE people have periods when there’s plenty in the bank, then other periods when there’s a little less fat on the bone.

 

This can be due to an unexpected expense, daughter getting married, bad payers, paying down a loan or any number of reasons.


It’s a bit like musical chairs, but instead of the music stopping, the world did.

Its caught a lot of us with our pants down-. :( Having not worked since December due to surgery Ive eaten through 3 months worth of saving thinking at the other end I'll be right back to it bringing  home the bacon. Well this Covids but a huge dent in that idea.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.