Who’s going to work today?

bggc

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Keith, I've got a few quid, not a lot, but a few quid from the sale of our bungalow. People who haven't got that bit of tut would be fucked, and I mean fucked. It's alright for some of us to sit at home, what happens to the rest of 'um?

This is going to be shit for a lot of people mate, I am under no illusion on that.
The government has offered to do what it can, but that could take ages to sort out, I really feel for people in that situation.
But as others have said, there are a lot of trades around this area that have been earning £200-£250 a day, what have they done with all that money ?
But what is the options, shall we all just say fuck it ?

Edited by scraggs

2 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Stuart - out of interest how does the French government's financial package work for you over there (or not..)?

Ah... a sum of 1500 euros has been banded around for those commerçants and artisans who can show their turnover is down by 70% for the month of March.

For those who habitually declare they live on air and have a low turnover, they will be regretting that very soon as they will receive very little if anything at all.

The process of claiming is already proving to be very slow, still April and even May to consider yet and I doubt many will receive a payment before June.

Something rather strange, hotels, gites, chambre d'hotes who have already received payment up front will be allowed to keep monies for 18 months before refunding.

I count myself lucky that I vacillated over a 2 week gite holiday costing over 2k and did not make payment before the plague struck.

There is a strong chance that people won't get money back.

Business owners die or go out of business or clients may die or just give up on reclaiming or just decide that they no longer want to holiday in France or that they can no longer afford to take that holiday given the situation, austerity, unemployment etc plans change.

Several 'gite' owners have stated on a Facebook page for expats that they have no intention of re-paying monies and have already spent it anyway.

I caused a heated debate when I accused them of not having a viable business if they need to spend clients deposits just to live.

If a builder had taken a 50% deposit in advance then refused to refund the money because he couldn't start the work for 18 months due to a bad back people would be up in arms.

Yet this no refund policy is actually sanctioned by the French government.

Stuart

8 minutes ago, scraggs said:

This is going to be shit for a lot of people mate, I am under no illusion on that.
The government has offered to do what it can, but that could take ages to sort out, I really feel for people in that situation.
But as others have said, there are a lot of trades around this area that have been earning £200-£250 a day, what have they done with all that money ?
But what is the options, shall we all just say fuck it ?

I honestly don't know, I'm going to dive undercover at our kid's place, not ideal, but I'm away because he's offered it to me. No I don't think we should write fuck on it, but I'm going around my own lot, selfish again?,  but I'm going with my folk.

1 hour ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

You've moved on? Hopefully to a position where you've stopped work and observing some form of lockdown like the majority whose work is not essential to beating this thing back.  Sooner you get it, sooner we can all go back to work.

Nope i’am still working but thank you for your concern.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Ah... a sum of 1500 euros has been banded around for those commerçants and artisans who can show their turnover is down by 70% for the month of March.

For those who habitually declare they live on air and have a low turnover, they will be regretting that very soon as they will receive very little if anything at all.

The process of claiming is already proving to be very slow, still April and even May to consider yet and I doubt many will receive a payment before June.

Something rather strange, hotels, gites, chambre d'hotes who have already received payment up front will be allowed to keep monies for 18 months before refunding.

I count myself lucky that I vacillated over a 2 week gite holiday costing over 2k and did not make payment before the plague struck.

There is a strong chance that people won't get money back.

Business owners die or go out of business or clients may die or just give up on reclaiming or just decide that they no longer want to holiday in France or that they can no longer afford to take that holiday given the situation, austerity, unemployment etc plans change.

Several 'gite' owners have stated on a Facebook page for expats that they have no intention of re-paying monies and have already spent it anyway.

I caused a heated debate when I accused them of not having a viable business if they need to spend clients deposits just to live.

If a builder had taken a 50% deposit in advance then refused to refund the money because he couldn't start the work for 18 months due to a bad back people would be up in arms.

Yet this no refund policy is actually sanctioned by the French government.

Stuart

Bloody hell.  There are loopholes in almost everything - but hardly surprising in the circumstances.  I wonder where travel insurance will stand re those folk that don't get money back?

I see over here it's been made harder (and a longer process) for tenants to be evicted.  It's being done for all the right reasons but as we know there are those who will take full advantage.

Glad you're managing to still work safely - rural France does make it simpler I suppose to work in isolation.  Was doing some ground clearance for a mate in the northern Ardeche two weeks ago.  Seems like a lifetime ago already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

All totally true Will, and absolutely no more dangerous than shopping, home delivered or not.

Most definitely not ?, it’s all a risk, the biggest problem is you can't see it to avoid it! Where you draw the line as to what is reasonable risk is the hard part. 

I'm self employed, my wife is too.
We rent.
We don't have savings.
Wife worked as childcare for two doctors looking after 2 young babies and 2 children at the same time.
Her list of constantly refreshed quals is ridiculous.
Gets £9 an hour.
20 hours ish a week.
I've been building a business from literally nothing.
Invested everything I could afford and more.

Yesterday I tried to sign on universal credit.
Yeah it's that bad.
But they presume everyone is an employee and want month by month earnings for last 18 months.
Fir self employed grant need 3 years books.
I'm really bad at tax returns.
I declare everything.
So I actually earn very little on paper and in reality.

However from what I understand, it's still possible to continue a business whilst on UC.
Got a feeling we won't be getting any support from the government.
So I'm actively looking for any tree work still.
And yes it is depressing as fuck.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

At what stage do you think you might consider putting others before yourself?

What’s your issue fella? And is this question  only directed at me or to everyone else on here still working and trying to keep there head above water..I don’t need to answer to you.

Edited by 5 shires
  • Like 1